Boston based hardware accelerator Bolt has kick-started its first batch of the program with 7 startups. Started by experienced product designer and entrepreneur – Ben Einstein, Venture Capital veteran – Axel Bichara and manufacturing expert and entrepreneur – Scott Miller, Bolt provides a one-stop-shop to hardware startups seeking to build, manufacture and sell their first product. It is a six month long intensive program where Ben and team intend to help early-stage hardware startups to get their products to market as quickly as possible. As part of the core offering at Bolt – each startup receives funding, mentorship, shop equipment, professional engineering staff, financing and manufacturing relationships.
The shortlisted startups represent sectors ranging from consumer electronics to robotics to medical devices and five cater to B2B segment. Three of the enrolled companies have already raised capital. The program received over 850 entries during the three month application period and seven of the best applicants have been shortlisted to be part of the first enrolment of the inaugural 2013 class.
The seven startups accepted as part of the 2013 inaugural batch are –
- Subsidence generates real-time, localized, atmospheric data, powered by its dense grids of next generation weather stations
- Petnet creates a line of intelligent pet products and leverages the data they capture so that pets, their owners, and caregivers can all be digitally connected
- Behavioral Technologies builds wearable technology that seeks to influence habits, rather than simply measure movement
- Loci Controls helps landfills optimize methane collection and energy generation
- Padloc designs and manufactures innovative tablet hardware and technology solutions for national retailers, hotels and banks
- BeTH creates prosthetic and orthotic devices that provide custom fit comfort without custom fabrication
- BlabDroid builds social robots paired with dynamic content to create unique relationships with technology
Each of them will receive –
- Full-time engineering & design staff
- 24×7 shop & office access
- Seed capital to last the program
- Domestic engagement with Dragon Innovation
- $100k line of credit for electronic components
- Free injection mold tooling (selected company) and 25% off (others)
- 50% off PCB fab/assem, sheetmetal fab & sla/sls
- and more
The program culminates with a Demo Day on Jan 23rd 2014. Check out Bolt.io for more details
Are you working for/running a startup? Then here’s your startup’s chance to win big! Apply now to showcase your startup on India’s biggest launchpad, get on a TV show & more! Click here.