India is currently the world’s fastest growing smartphone market fueled by the dominance of sub Rs 15,000 smartphones. The year 2013 saw a Y-o-Y growth of 172.2% with over 41 million units shipped across the country. According to IAMAI, India will have 185 million mobile internet users by June 2014.
India’s leading real estate portal, CommonFloor and India’s largest online fashion store, Myntra, both have launched their apps on android platform recently. While this is the second app from CommonFloor for its apartment management offering namely CommonFloor Groups (there is already an app for CommonFloor property search portal), Myntra android app is first one for the online fashion portal and is simply a mobile shopping application.
CommonFloor Group App
The apartment management tool, CommonFloor Groups is used by 1 lakh gated communities and ten lakh residents in India. It is an ERP level tool and offers free of cost solution to enable better communication, management and coordination amongst residents, owners (residents or non-residential landlords) and RWAs (Resident Welfare Associations). The app has been launched to keep residents connected with their apartment communities on a 24X7 basis. Here are the key features of this app:
- The app enables residents to report a problem with images as soon as they witness it. For e.g., one can click a picture of water leakage, garbage, wrong car parking or even a sleeping guard to share it with residents and RWA members who can then take quick action to resolve it.
- The app allows to share messages in groups and sub groups along with one on one messaging between residents / owners. These features give the app a flavour of a private social network that connects neighbours with each other. It’ll be helpful in finding a maid, finding good vendors, reviews on nearby services and communicating similar requirements.
- The app offers complaint management, ability to view personal dues, track payments, seek recommendations, view notifications and put up notices as well.
- The app also makes use of Android’s push notification system to keep owners and residents updated about latest developments in the gated community.
Mr. Vikas Malpani, Co-founder CommonFloor.com and Head – CommonFloor Groups said,
App is a necessity since currently all these conversations do not have a place to go and end up clogging your mail box. Also it helps you to reach out to your neighbor and send a message immediately at time of need.
He clarified that CommonFloor doesn’t wish to venture into the services segment through this app. It is just an attempt to make all the information and community available on smart phone to reach out to.
The company is exploring opportunities to make relevant information ‘Google Now’ friendly, going ahead. It also plans to add a host of new features in upcoming versions that will make the app more social.
Download link: ‘CommonFloor Groups’ app
Myntra.com Shopping App
With its app, Myntra’s aims to provide android users the convenience of shopping on the go.
Here’s quick review of the app:
- The design and user interface of the app have been optimized for all Android devices.
- With high quality fashionable imagery, simplistic and clutter free layout, the app is designed to make browsing convenient as shoppers can maneuver through the 60,000+ products with ease.
- To assist quick browsing there’s ‘filter’ option. The elaborate filter not only sorts through common parameters like size, brand, shades, and price, but is also equipped to sort through nuanced requirements like waist rise, distressing, material treatments etc.
- Shoppers have the option to share their shortlisted products with their family and friends via sms, email and social media channels.
- After finalizing one’s purchases, the checkout process is easy to follow with various payment options such as Cash on Delivery, Credit Card, Debit Card and Net Banking.
Shamik Sharma, Chief Product and Technology Officer, Myntra, said,
We have seen an incredible amount of activity on the m-commerce front. Several studies conducted by us project that smartphones will be the preferred mode of shopping online in the next 12 – 18 months. Already, close to 30% of our business is driven by m-commerce and with the launch of our mobile app, we expect this number to grow to 50% by end of this fiscal (March 2015).
Download link: Myntra.com android app