Amazon’s Fire Phone, Innovation or Gimmick?
Amazon has released a new smartphone with a lot of different features that look really good and interesting on paper, but as most consumers know there is a hidden agenda behind the phone. Almost all the new features offered directly or indirectly are a way for Amazon to boost sales for its eCommerce portal. Some people might really enjoy being trapped in Amazon’s bubble, but there might be others who might not enjoy the experience so much.
The phone has good specifications, but some feel that the high price is not justified. The phone runs on a 2.2GHz Quad-core Snapdragon 800 CPU, with Adreno 330 GPU and 2GB of RAM , a 4.7inch- HD LCD display, with 1280 x 720 resolution at 315 ppi.
A 13 MP rear-facing camera, multi-frame HDR, auto focus, optical image stabilization, LED flash, 2.1 MP front-facing camera, 32 GB or 64 GB variants and a 2400mAh battery.
A lot of new features are a highlight of this phone.Some of them are:
This feature enables the phone to quickly identify printed web and email addresses, phone numbers, QR and bar codes, plus over 100 million items, including movies, TV episodes, songs, and product.The user simply has to press and hold the dedicated Firefly button to find more information about it. For example, taking a photograph of any book with firefly, takes you directly to Amazon’s website where you can order it, this leads to instant gratification and more impulse buys.
If you are confused about any aspect of the phone, or have no idea about how to use some feature, Amazon has a facility for you to get free, live, on-device video support with an Amazon expert, 24×7, 365 days a year at the touch of a button.The customer care executive can even control your device remotely as they guide you through the process.Mayday also guarantees help in 15 seconds or less.
Dynamic Perspective (3D display):
The phone features a unique 3D interface called Dynamic Perspective. It can shift the image on the display to add a depth effect, and it can achieve this effect without the need of 3D glasses.
You can also access menus and shortcuts with the tools : tilt, swivel and peek.
Tilt for panels—you can use the left panel to navigate the menu, and the right panel to access useful information and shortcuts.
Swivel for access to important notifications and quick actions like Mayday, Flashlight, Settings, and more.
Peek keeps your display uncluttered by revealing additional details and quick actions only when you need it.
Prime Instant Video and Music: Prime members enjoy unlimited, commercial-free streaming of tens of thousands of popular movies , TV episodes and millions of songs.
Possible reasons to get the Amazon Fire Phone, based on what experts all over the world are saying:
1. You enjoy shopping online a lot and are an impulsive buyer.
2. Unlimited photo and video sharing, with backup in Amazon’s cloud storage.
3. Amazing camera, which can take pictures even in low light conditions.
4. Features like Firefly, Mayday, Amazon Prime and the 3D dynamic perspective appeal to you
Possible reasons to avoid the Amazon Fire Phone, based on what experts all over the world are saying:
1. Price: With a price tag of up-to USD 649 including everything and average specifications, not everyone would be happy with it.
2. A much smaller app store with a few hundred thousand apps instead of the millions that are available on Android and iOS.
3. There is a learning curve involved and it takes some time to get used to the phone and its features, which might be irritating for a user who is more comfortable with Android or iOS.
4. Users have to sign a two year contract with AT&T, which is a put off for many.
What do you think about the phone? Love it or hate it ? Is it an innovation or a gimmick to boost sales for Amazon’s e-commerce portal ? We would love to hear your opinions.