DTDC launches DotZot, a Solution For eCommerce Logistics
DTDC Courier & Cargo Ltd, a premier express courier company announced the launch of its specialist logistic company for eCommerce – DotZot. DotZot claims to be the first pan India delivery network with a reach of 8,000 plus pin codes and 2,300 cities focusing exclusively on the e-retail space. The launch by DTDC comes on the back of the growing eCommerce industry which is currently pegged to be at Rs 55,000 crore of which retail comprises only 10% and the remaining 90% today is made up of travel and other services. E-tailing is however growing four times faster than the travel category.Speaking at the launch Sanjiv Kathuria, CEO, DotZot said, “eCommerce is the fastest growing business segment in the country and the key gap that affects the future growth of this industry is lack of logistics infrastructure bundled with customized systems, processes and technology that are imperative to grow the e-retail business.” For the growth of this segment, logistics solution providers will need to transcend from the traditional ‘courier’ processes to meet the modern day demands. DotZot aims to bridge this gap for e-retailers who are increasingly looking for processes and technology fine-tuned to enhance their customers shopping experience.
According to market research firm Technopak, the Indian eCommerce business is expected to be worth $13.5 billion by 2017 and C2C businesses will be bigger than B2C businesses. E-retailing is still very small in India at just 0.12% of the overall retail compared to 4%+ in China & Brazil. However the contribution is expected to go up to 2% by 2017 in India.
DTDC already provides services in Tier 2-3 cities, through 240 of its affiliate partners, which is also one of the important market for eCommerce companies. According to Abhishek Chakraborty, executive director, DTDC Courier & Cargo, DotZot is targeting Rs 100-crore revenues in three years. “DotZot has been work-in-progress for a year and we decided to set it up as a separate business, because it can help add value to our existing partnership with e-retailers,” said Abhishek. DotZot will reach out to e-retailers and assist them in streamlining the entire delivery lifecycle, cut costs, increase reach and mitigate risks associated with setting up a delivery network. DotZot would take charge right from the time the order is received, from warehousing, to pick & pack, ship and deliver.
At the YourStory, eSparks event held last month in Bangalore, many industry experts who had come together to discuss the future of the eCommerce in our country had repeatedly highlighted the need to have a reliable and efficient logistics support for eCommerce businesses in India. DotZot therefore comes at the right time, when more and more startups are going the eCommerce way to do their business. More than investments in infrastructure, according to Abhishek, DotZot will be investing in training and to get quality manpower to service e-retailers and make DotZot the best in class for eCommerce industry.