2012 was an exciting year for the Indian startup ecosystem. The momentum built over the past couple of years intensified. Investor interest increased in Indian startups. More than 200 deals worth more than $700 million were sealed (see all investments).Qualitatively, emerging startups show high levels of maturity which should have a positive impact on funding.
Funding activity is by no means an indicator of success but is a good proxy for business viability tracking.
In this report, we provide a synopsis about the startup space in India in the first quarter of 2013 with our insights.
- 71 deals were announced in the first 3 months of 2013, out of which the funding amount for 33 were disclosed (16 of these were acquisitions).
- Declared investments total to $140 million.
- 62% of the deals were seed/angel stage investments.
- Healthcare and eCommerce were the most favored categories with investments of $42.44 million and $40.51 million respectively.
- The top 3 hot spots were still Mumbai, Delhi NCR and Bangalore. Mumbai saw the maximum number of deals with 18 closures.
Drop in a comment or write a mail to email@example.com for any queries.