YourStory is seeking applications for a full-time Sub Editor - Desk to join the Editorial team to ensure the publication of high-quality, engaging content across all platforms (online properties, offline events and hard copies, newsletters, and social media.)
The Sub Editor - Desk will be responsible for editing, rewriting, proofreading, and curating content for YourStory’s online properties. They will be expected to work with writers and editors to ensure the quality of editing and storytelling on YourStory platforms adheres to the highest standards and is in line with editorial guidelines and style guides.
If you're someone with impeccable editing and storytelling skills, a knack for numbers, an interest in business, tech and startup sectors, and a natural inclination to mentor and coach writers and younger team members, then you're the person we’re looking for.
What does this job entail?
- Ensure high-quality, accurate, engaging content by proofreading, copy-editing, and rewriting copies that adhere to YourStory’s editorial guidelines.
- Ensure accuracy by conducting fact-checks, while ensuring context, consistency, structure, inclusivity, and nuance in copy.
- Quickly transform copies into clear, crisp, accurate, engaging content, while adding value and inputs that enhance the final copy
- Drive YourStory’s multimedia storytelling efforts through consistent focus on making sure copies have high-quality pictures, illustrations, infographics, video, and/or audio.
- Collaborate with writers, providing regular feedback and mentoring to improve writing styles, reportage, turnaround times, etc.
- Optimise content for SEO for higher brand reach by keeping track of search algorithm updates and ever-changing SEO best practices.
- Ensure scheduling, publishing, managing of the editorial calendar in collaboration with other editors and Lead Sub Editor - Desk.
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams to aid in the amplification of the YourStory brand through various content-related projects and events.
- Work with the YourStory writers and specialist reporters on editing, rewriting, fact-checking, and proofreading stories as well as monthly research reports, ad hoc reports, data-led insights and articles, and data-based infographics.
- Periodically review content for YourStory TV and YS Education, providing feedback and suggestions to ensure continuous improvement, and guide in the creation of audio stories for podcasts by editing and crafting scripts.
You should apply for this role if you:
- Have a degree or Master in Journalism/Mass Communication or related fields. Previous reporting/editing experience, especially in business journalism, is a plus.
- Have at least 3 years of experience in writing and editing quality content tailored for the Digital Medium and with a focus on business journalism.
- Have advanced proficiency in English, grammar, current affairs, and an understanding of business and technology terms.
- Have an understanding of how to use social media and SEO, conduct data analysis, and plan/think through a content strategy for different events, right from ideation to organising/assigning to meta-tagging to SEO and distribution.
- Be adept with using technology to streamline processes and workflow; be familiar with using the in-house CMS, G-Suite, MS Office, and basic photo editing apps.
- Can multi-task, with the ability to thrive under pressure and work under short deadlines.
- Have a passion and flair for storytelling, and a willingness to learn.
- Be willing to work early or late shifts
Deadline for applications: July 31, 2021
Kindly apply for this role by July 31 with a copy of your resume and a cover letter stating why you think you're most suited for this role.