5 Common Misconceptions about FSSAI License
FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India that regulates the food businesses in India. There are certain rules and regulations that have to be followed by the food businesses mentioned by the FSSAI; a self-governing body that reports straight away to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
If you are running a food business or thinking of starting a one, then FSSAI License is compulsory to operate the business.
1. Do an importer or exporter needs a FSSAI License?
Most of the people think that if they have an import/export license, then they can import food products as well; however, this is not true.
If there is any food product imported to India, for this you need to have an IEC (Import Export license) and further you have to obtain an FSSAI central license.
Documents required for FSSAI Central License for Importers and Exporters
· KYC of directors/Partners owners
· Business Registration certificate- COI, AOA, MOA/ Partnership deed
· Intended food products for import or export
· GST registration certificate
· IEC code in case FSSAI license is to be applied for Export/Import
2. Who all need to apply for FSSAI license for starting the food business?
When you have a food business, just to evade the extra work of obtaining a food license (FSSAI), you may conclude yourself that your business doesn’t fall under the categories defined by the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India.
So here is the list of food businesses for whom, the FSSAI license is mandatory-
· Food Business Operators
· Importer or Exporter
3. What is the role of turnover in FSSAI License?
Many food business owners may think that their annual turnover is not even so high that they apply for the FSSAI License even so the truth is far from that. Below are the categories divided on the basis of turnover for obtaining the FSSAI license –
· FSSAI registration if the turnover is below Rs. 12 lacs per annum
· FSSAI state license if the turnover is above Rs. 12 lacs and below Rs. 20 crores in a year
· FSSAI Central license if the turnover is above Rs. 20 crores
· FSSAI license for importer and exporter
4. Operation of multiple stores on single FSSAI license
During the inception of the food business, we apply for the food license. However, while opening a chain of similar stores at different locations; we may skip applying for the separate FSSAI license for every location.
It is mandatory to have a separate FSSAI license for each location you run your business.
5. What about the Bottled Water? Do I need an FSSAI license for it?
FSSAI Act includes all kinds of sealed water business, even when you are selling or just packaging the water bottles; you have to apply for the FSSAI license. Further, it would depend on the annual turnover and other factors.
Enterslice has helped a number of food owners in getting their FSSAI License. For further information related to FSSAI License click here.