In this article you will find tips on how to come up with a good idea for Odia short story and how to turn your idea into a good readable story.
Imagination has no bounds and language is just a means to communicate with other humans. As long as you have mind full of thoughts, ideas and emotions, it doesn’t matter in which language you want to portray them out. Since the beginning of human race, humans have found some or the other way to bring their thoughts out, whether in the form of carvings, sculpture, paintings, music, and writings. In this article you will find tips on how to come up with a good idea for Odia short story and how to turn your idea into a good readable Odia short story.
1. Know your protagonist
Think about the person around whom you want the story to revolve. Build its character sketch. Know how it feels, what it thinks, what morals it lives for, what is its aim, where does it live, what are his decisions and choices as well as his habits.
2. Build a story around your protagonist
Now that you have already understood the nature of your protagonist, give him a well-defined setting. The place he lives in, the climate of that place, his neighbours, his family, his professional place, the place he often goes to in order to untangle his thoughts.
3. Understand the nature of the whole setting
Now that you have built the environment around your protagonist, give all the people and places a certain kind of nature. Also make it clear to yourself what all these places make him feel like. This is because, all these places will be the venues of different situations that would happen in the protagonist’s life on different days or different moments. And once you would make this base concrete, you will find it easy to pour in different kinds of problems, different sources where he can find his answers, and what thing triggers which emotion in him. It will also help you to understand your protagonist’s priorities and the kind of dilemmas the tug of war between his priorities would cause.
4. Fears and insecurities
In your protagonist you are creating another human being. And every human has their own secrets, deep desires, fears and insecurities. Therefore, to build a strong character in your short story in Odia language you have to generate the negative parts of his personality in order to provide him with the aspects he would have to work on, overcome, deconstruct, and rebuild in order to evolve and justify himself as the protagonist of your Odia short story.
5. Inculcate the problems
Put some major problem in your protagonist’s life. This one problem would make him run away from the truth because it would target his fear or insecurity. And this problem would not go away till he would summon up all his courage to fight with his own dark side. This is the problem that will provide you with the chance to highlight the negative or imperfect side of his personality, making the readers to connect with your story.
This was the basic strategy to keep in mind in order to build a concrete base for your story. The next set of tips will focus on more specific parts in order to make your story more engaging as well as giving you tips on how to do justification to the concrete base you have built for your Odia short story.
1. The beginning of your short story ought to be catchy. The language should be intriguing or else a reader might skip it. Novel writing doesn’t have to be very intriguing from the beginning itself because the readers know that story develops over few pages, but with a short story the readers’ patience doesn’t last for so long.
2. Write regularly. This will make sure that the whole story is well-knitted. Taking a break usually brings a kind of disconnect which is not visible to the writer who is writing this Odia short story.
3. Simple writing. Since you are writing in Odia and there is less number of Odia writers, if we talk in comparative terms, it is better to use simple terms known to most of the readers. However, nothing should stop you from creating a masterpiece. These tips are for making your stories more reader-friendly.
4. Writing meaningful dialogues and their labels. You have to be careful about dialogues because they are those small windows where characters directly portray their personalities to the readers. Where on one hand you have sketched your characters in your narrative, the dialogues you write on their behalf should justify your narrative. You should be aware of the connotations displayed in these dialogues, how a particular character with certain traits is interacting with another character with its own set of traits. At the same time, dialogue labels are very important too because they create an emotional visual for the readers. Whether a character is saying something nervously, or excitedly, or mischievously gives the intent, reason, and cause of the dialogue.
5. Play with the climax. The climax of your Odia short story is the defining part of your whole story. This is the point where you have to finally sort out everything. This is the point which decides where the actions of the story will lead to. This is the point that decides the fate of all the characters.
Hope these points will be helpful in creating a good and satisfactory short story. Do you have more points to add?
Stories by Bibhu Datta Rout