While working at heights, safety precautions are quite mandatory. Fall from heights accounts for maximum number of workplace injuries
March 08, 2017
While working at heights, safety precautions are quite mandatory. Fall from heights accounts for maximum number of workplace injuries. But given the changing times and growing economy, there is no denial that one is required to work at high altitudes in various industries such as construction, rigging and even in entertainment industry. In this scenario, it’s important to have prior knowledge regarding use of safety equipments for fall arrest and how to save oneself from fall related injury.
Here are certain tips to ensure workplace safety and prevention of injury from fall.
(1) Worker must identify all work at height related activities at workplace.
(2) Identify the risk factors related to working at heights related activities and make a thorough assessment. You must assess the altitude at which you are required to work and see if there are any objects in vicinity that may fall and injure you or passerbys.
(3) Opt not to work at height where not required. There is no point taking unnecessary risks.
(4) If however, you have to work at height, don’t go for it without a thorough assessment.
(5) Weigh your options on how to control and minimise the risk factors in association with co workers. Apply these control measures where ever required.
(6) Write down the necessary protocols for all workers who are working at heights and make sure these protocols are implemented.
(7) Re-evaluation of risk factors and control measures periodically is very important as every new work poses new challenges.
(8) Safety equipments should be handy and properly maintained to ensure their smooth functioning while working.
(9) Everyone at work place should be aware of the risk factors.
This is just a brief introduction to what precautions are necessary if you opt for working at heights. According to OHSA regulations, no worker shall perform work at hihh altitudes without undergoing a working at heights training program which instructs participants on correct use of personal protective equipments (PPE) and also on how to minimise work place related risks.
Canadian Forklift Safety Group provides working at heights training program that is approved by Ministry of Labour and designed to incorporate all elements of safety training required. Training provided by an expert faculty results in their high success rates and makes them number one training providers in Mississauga.
So, think wise and think twice to ensure a safer industry.