October 03, 2017
Nowadays we can see that the IITians are taking more interest in many fields apart from their own and handling their responsibility of work magnificently.
Most of the IITians choose their fields in Business, Politics & Social work, Entertainment, Science and in others.
IITians have always been active in Indian Politics. There is big role of IITians in change of Indian Politics.
Let’s look on India’s Seven most famous IITians who became successful Politicians after IIT JEE
12 February 1939 in Uttar Pradesh
B.Sc. from Lucknow University, B.Tech. from IIT Kharagpur, M.S. from Illinois Institute of Technology
• He was firstly chosen to Rajya Sabha in 1986.
• Ajit Singh is the founder and chief of the Rashtriya Lok Dal in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
• He was the President of Lok Dal and Janata Party in 1987 and 1988.
• He was Minister of Industry in V.P. Singh’s cabinet for one year.
• He was elected to Lok Sabha from Baghpat in 1989 and re-elected to Lok Sabha in Indian general election in 1991
• In Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s government, he was the Minister of Agriculture.
• He was Minister of Civil Aviation from December 2011 to May 2014.
13 December 1955 in Mapusa, North Goa.
Engineering in Metallurgical from IIT Mumbai in 1978
• Manohar Parrikar is a political member of Bhartiya Janata Party in India.
• He is the member of Parliament in Rajya Sabha from U.P. and Defence Minister in the Government of India.
• Before the Council of Ministers of Union Government, he was the Chief Minister of Goa.
• Manohar Parrikar was awarded by Distinguished Alumnus Award in 2001 by IIT Bombay.
9 April 1954 in Karnataka, India.
Graduated from IIT Bombay in Mechanical Engineering and Master of Science in Public Policy and Public Management from MIT.
• Jairam Ramesh is a member of Parliament representing Andhra Pradesh state in the Rajya Sabha.
• He was elected to the Union Council of Ministers of India.
• Jairam Ramesh led the party’s Poll Strategy Panel in February 2009 with 15TH Lok Sabha elections.
• He was given independent charge of Environment and Forests as Minister of State in Congress-led-administration.
• Jairam Ramesh was a part “Foundation Day Committee” of All India Congress Committee.
• In July 2011, He was promoted to Cabinet Minister and reselected to charge of the Ministry of Rural Development.
25 August 1967 in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
Graduate from IIT Kanpur in Chemical Engineering
• Leader and Activist of A social movement named “Narmada Bachao Andolan”.
• Alok Agarwal joined the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in January 2014.
• He also contested in Loksabha election.
• In present, he is the national spokesperson of AAP and also the convenor of Aam Aadmi Party, Madhya Pradesh.
21 April 1963 in Giridih (Jharkhand)
Completed his graduation from IIT Delhi and Master of Science in Energy Management & Policy form the University of Pennsylvania.
• Jayant Sinha has participated in Indian Politics and policy-making since 1990.
• In 2014, Sinha contested Lok Sabha elections from the Hazaribagh seat in Jharkhand.
• He was sworn-in as Minister of State in the Union Council of Ministers in November 2014.
• After 20 years, he moved over to the Ministry of Civil Aviation in July 2016.
6. Arvind Kejriwal:
16 August 1968 in Siwani, Haryana
Graduated in Mechanical engineering from IIT Kharagpur.
• Kejriwal was elected as the Aam Aadmi Party’s National Convener in 2012.
• The social activist turned politician went on join the IRS before quitting his job to join the anti-corruption crusade.
• Arvind Kejriwal was sworn in as the second-youngest chief minister of Delhi in December
7. Sudheendra Kulkarni:
Athani, Karnataka, India
Attended the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
• Kulkarni is an Indian Politician and Columnist.
• He is a former member of the Communist party of India.
• Bhartiya Janata Party joined by Kulkani in 1996 and resigned in 2009.
There are also some IITians who became Politicians in India like Nandan Nilekani, Krishan Kant, Ved Prakash Goyal, Raghuram Rajan and others.
October 03, 2017
October 03, 2017