Findings of survey on ecommerce and online shoppers in India – CouponRani
Why do people shop online? How much do they buy online? What do they look for when purchasing? Where do they find details about deals and offers?
Answering these and more questions is CouponRani, which has recently done a survey on e-commerce and online shoppers in India, to understand the key trends and consumer mind-set towards online shopping.
“Online shopping is rapidly picking up pace in India, and most of the retailers now understand the potential of online shopping. The estimated size of current e-commerce in India is approximately $1.6 billion in sales, and this is expected to grow by 2 to 4 times in the next 2 to 3 years,” the report summary notes.
Among the top findings of the survey, as put forth by CouponRani, are the following:
- Convenience was listed as the top reason for shopping online by 74% of the respondents, and at the same level were discounts and coupons. This is good news for e-tailers, as the value proposition for online shopping is clear in the minds of shoppers.
- 27% of our respondents said they purchase majority of their goods online. We believe this bodes well for e-tailers as online shopping is gaining acceptance.
- 95% of respondents look for discounts and coupons before purchasing.
- Coupon/ deal sites, Google search, and social media were the top 3 places for shoppers to find coupons and offers.
Majority of the survey respondents – over 53% – were below 25 years. CouponRani believes this is similar to the distribution of people shopping online. It cites Facebook data (ad panel) that over 60% of Facebook users in India are below 25 years.
CouponRani is a couponing startup incubated by Srijan Capital. Run by ‘a group of technologists and digital marketers, who love deal hunting and find best deals with or without coupons,’ CouponRani promises ‘Free Coupons That Work always. We will provide you with best experience by showing only coupons that we test at-least once a day.’
Latest posts by Murali D (see all)
- Floating through hackerspaces – Jonas S Karlsson - December 11, 2013
- 80-year legacy of Mehta Hospitals - November 21, 2013
- Convergence of design thinking into business management – S. Sriram, CEO, Great Lakes Institute of Management - November 20, 2013
- Three words for entrepreneurs – Vijay Anand, CEO and Founder, The Startup Centre - November 19, 2013