Flipkart launches its Marketplace with 50 sellers onboard
Flipkart.com, one of the largest Indian online stores has announced the launch of Flipkart Marketplace today. Flipkart garners huge traffic of about 10 lakh visits a day and with this marketplace, numerous large and small sellers will now have access to this traffic advantage.
What is a marketplace?
The Flipkart Marketplace platform is essentially a virtual mall giving shoppers access to multiple brands and sellers under one roof. Going forward users will be able to compare sellers and get the best prices at varied service levels for most products. On the other hand, sellers stand to benefit from the trust that Flipkart has built with its users.
Key Points for the buyers on the marketplace:
- A large part of the user experience (product selection, customer service and logistics) remains the same with an expanded selection of products.
- Users will continue to have COD/EMI options and friendly return/replacement policies.
- Flipkart will take care of shipping and doorstep delivery through its logistics partners – hence assuring users of a quality experience.
- In keeping with its focus on customer delight, Flipkart will establish a protection programme to resolve any complaints.
Key Points for sellers on the marketplace:
- Sellers will be identified through a rigorous onboarding process and allowed to sell only genuine products.
- Sellers can list their items or select from Flipkart’s existing catalogue.
- Sellers who provide a superior customer experience will receive prominence on Flipkart Marketplace.
“We created the blueprint for Flipkart Marketplace with the determination to take online shopping to the masses. While on the one hand it furthers the Flipkart promise of customer delight by giving more choices at competitive prices, it also serves as the foundation for entrepreneurship to flourish without having to worry about investing in any physical or virtual infrastructure and yet access millions of customers across the country with just a click,” said Sachin Bansal, CEO and Co-founder, Flipkart.
To emphasize the power of online shopping, Sachin adds-
“In the last 12 months, more than 80 million unique visitors have come to Flipkart. Five out of six online Indians visit our website. Sellers on Flipkart will get access to this vast user base – which is akin to the footfall in prime retail spaces in the top 10 cities of the country.”
To start with Flipkart has on-boarded 50 sellers that are selling in books, media, and consumer electronics categories. Clothes, shoes and other categories will follow soon.
Some of the sellers:
Ninza Communications, Bangalore – selling consumer electronics
SmartMart Retail – Harshit enterprises, Delhi – selling home appliances Zoomin Camera Store
Supernova Retail Pvt Ltd, Mumbai – selling consumer electronics
More about it on the Flipkart Seller Portal