With a 51% mobile penetration, mobile phones are in abundance in India. Considering the rising incomes and the addictive nature of smartphones, their number is only bound to go up. Google partnered with IPSOS and the MMA (Mobile Marketing Association) to understand user behavior with smartphones in India and gain a greater insight. And that, they did.
The phone is no longer just a means of making calls and sending sms, the survey identifies that people today use their smartphones to search, follow news, watch TV, listen to music, connecting with family and friends. Here are some key points from the survey:
- Smart phone usage between the age group of 18-‐ 29 is the highest.
- A comparison of Internet usage on smart device versus desktop reveals that 56% of smartphone owners in India prefer accessing Internet multiple times a day through their phones.
- 59% of males access the Internet more through smartphones versus 48% of usage by females.
- 78% of smartphone owners indulge in searching from their device, 77% of smartphone users in India like listening to music on their smart device and close to 35 % of smartphone owners either read newspapers, book and magazines or watch TV and close to 33% enjoy playing games.
- 97% of smartphone owners are heavy users while at home. Men have a higher usage of smartphones when at work with close to a figure of 80% as compared to 71 % women at work.
- While people are engaging more into online shopping it is found that 40% of smartphone owners do not feel secure to purchase online through their smart device and prefer PC/ laptop for the same.
How has the coronavirus outbreak disrupted your life? And how are you dealing with it? Write to us or send us a video with subject line 'Coronavirus Disruption' to firstname.lastname@example.org