Summer can be tricky when it comes to adopting fashion especially with the sun blazing down on you. However, you can look chic, cool, and classy with the latest trends the runway has to offer. You could also follow these basic tips and tricks to beat the heat in style:
- Dress in lighter fabrics: Say hello to linen, cotton, chiffon, and georgette. Stay clear of nylon or polyester that doesn’t breathe. In addition to bringing the heat, they can lead to embarrassing body odour.
- CEO or entrepreneur, don’t lose sharpness while shunning the jacket. Do light weight layering with your clothes and still appear classy. Lightweight jackets with a ganji draped with a scarf are a perfect combination. Team it up with some bold-coloured spectacles and a nice trendy bun.
- Homemaker, there is no need to look dowdy while the sun’s blazing. Invest in light-weight kurtis or tunics, and pair them up with well-fitted jeans, jeggings or even capris. It’s easier to bun up hair, but add some flare with a nice romantic braid.
- Teenagers can go berserk with prints, printed shorts, tees or even shrugs and scarves in lightweight fabrics. Opt for the seasonal shift/skater dresses or the casual sundress for those evening or day parties.
- However, as basics go, do not forget the sunscreen. It’s not just for your face but your body too. Protect your hair if you are an outdoor person with a scarf or a trendy hat, as hair get sun damaged too. Invest in a nice pair of UV protected sunglasses and good footwear to take you through the summer!
The trends to follow this summer:
- Ruffles: Be it for tops or shirts, dresses or skirts, ruffles are creating a huge buzz in the fashion industry. Ruffles can be incorporated along the hem or even across the body. It looks fantastic on the neckline as ruffles that are often called frills add volume to a garment and an element of fun to simple attire.
- Paper Bag Waists: Pants that are a secured a little around the waist are called the paper bag waists and are a rage with trendsetters this season. They add a flirty edge to create an illusion of looking thinner and taller. These pants are perfect as resort wear and can be transformed into a more formal ensemble by wearing a pair of high heels and accessorising with some jewellery.
- Bare-shoulder Necklines: A new twist brought about in the Spring-Summer collection are tops and dresses that have incorporated the bare shoulder look. Pretty alluring as a design in itself, flaunting collar bones are quite an eye catcher. The trend for tops and dresses is off-shoulder this season and have been merged with ruffles too. Such designs are flirty yet sober; they reveal a little and are very girlie.
- Slip Dresses: The straight cut, slinky look with stringy straps on dresses are making news in the fashion circuit as these dresses do give a slender look and are highly sensual. Some add scalloped lingerie laces that are trimmed to raise the femininity quotient or simply crafted in bold colours that are attractive and attention-grabbing.
- Front-slit Skirts: Ideal office wear for this season is ruffled shirts or plain tops teamed with a mid-waist front slit skirt. The skirts are not too revealing yet do keep a subtle spark alive. Available in denim, cotton, crepe and linen, these skirts are a must-have for every working woman who is comfortable wearing skirts at the office. High heels and a nice shade of lipstick will add to the entire look and be just right for a business meeting or lunch.
- Checks, Stripes or Dots: Summer fashion prints are flooded with polka dots, broad stripes and chequered patterns. Be it for business suits or dresses, skirts or shorts, these patterns are taking up all the attention. From cotton to crepe, chiffon to georgette, these prints and patterns are available in every fashion store and one should ideally combine these two bold patterns to create a fabulous look for the day or evening.
- Go Orange: Orange as a colour is creating waves and has truly become the new black. Everything is fiery hot with orange becoming the newest colour of the season. A great find, this colour is vibrant and full of life and goes well with any colour. For instance, an electric blue skirt with an orange top, or an orange lace dress with emerald green accessories. The options are endless with this dazzling shade. Light or dark orange looks remarkable on every skin tone.
- Metallics: Evening wear is usually a task to plan as many women find wearing pink or green a dull affair and to be honest, it really is. Teaming metallics into evening wear is the new trend this season and it looks stunning. From fabrics to accessories, heels to clutches, golds and silvers, coppers and greys, these striking shades add glam and glitter to a simple outfit.
- Floral: Be it big or small, bright or light, floral prints are still a must have for every summer. The spring and summer collection is all about new life and brightness, what more could one ask for than spectacular shades of pretty flowers blooming on skirts, maxis, dresses, and shirts.
More than anything, one should be creative in styling and update themselves more with the fashion essentials, keep a positive attitude and carry their outfit with confidence. Fashion is something you create and not always follow. Now that you know what’s trending, feel free to mix and match, innovate and look like never before.