Swimming pool installation and maintenance – things every homeowner should know
Every day is a swimming day when having a swimming pool installed in the backyard of your house. It’s like being in an endless vacation, because once you get back home from work, you can jump straight into the pool and relax.
It’s a source of fun and entertainment for every member of the family, young or adult, not to mention that you save a great deal of money on the long-term, as you don’t have to go to a local swimming pool club anymore.
A backyard swimming pool makes a great investment for the summer time that lasts from April or May to September, as well as for years to come. Nevertheless, it is essential that you work with the best pool contractors to benefit from the best installation process. Here are some of the most important factors to value before installing your swimming pool and some expert maintenance tips.
Consider the shape first
Installing a swimming pool at home is a “yes or no” decision, although you do have to consider some essential aspects such as the budget available. Once you have had this figured out, the struggle comes. One of the first things to decide upon is the shape of your pool. Here, you have to take into account the location and the size of the premises you are thinking to install it. Depending on these two factors, you can choose the pool to have rectangle shape, oval, true-L, lazy-L, kidney, figure 8, Roman or Grecian pool shape or any other free form. Just ensure it fits your space.
Consider the material
Another crucial factor worth valuing before having the swimming pool installed is the material used. You should know that there are three main options when it comes to swimming pools at home.
• Vinyl – is a very popular choice because it is the least costly. Experts recommend people who live in colder parts of the country to opt for vinyl, because it will be easier for them to winterize the pool. However, compared to other materials used for pools, this one has the shortest lifespan and needs replacement after nearly ten years. Also, it is quite sensitive if it gets punctured, in which case you will need the services of an expert to patch the scratch.
• Fiberglass – is probably the most popular choice, although it is a more expensive option than vinyl. Fiberglass doesn’t require much time or effort to be installed, but you should know that it is more limited in terms of sizes and shapes in comparison to vinyl.
• Concrete – this one is the best choice when it comes to swimming pools. Even though this is the most expensive option of all available on the market, it has the longest lifespan. Experts claim this material is the top of the line. Besides, they also provide a variety of options in terms of design, as people can choose whatever shape they want in order to fit even into irregular spaces.
Above or in-ground?
If you thought the design and the material are the only two factors to consider, think again. You have to decide whether to opt for an aboveground pool or for an in-ground one. Each of them comes with its own advantages and disadvantages.
Aboveground pools for instance are much more cost-effective, because the excavation cost is eliminated from the very beginning. Worth mentioning is also that materials used in installing above swimming pools are far cheaper compared to those used for in-ground ones, not to mention about the wide range of materials available. In most cases, the wall of the pool is made from aluminium panelling or steel and both of them come with warranty that lasts 20 years, 40 years or a lifetime.
In-ground pools on the other hand are much more costly, because they imply digging a hole in the ground, which is the most expensive part of installing this type of swimming pool.
Finding the best pool contractor
With so many options available today, many homeowners interested in “upgrading” their houses with swimming pools find choosing the right pool contractor a challenging task. It is best to start with an online research and to create a list of the companies in your region providing this type of services. Read many reviews and testimonials of past customers to see what other people have to say about the services of those companies and whether or not they were satisfied with the services. It will be a lot easier for you to make the best decision this way.
Expert maintenance tips
Now that you have a swimming pool installed in your backyard, you need to know how to properly care for it, so here’s what experts have to say about this:
• Skim the pool’s surface for debris every once in a few days. This simple activity is the best way to keep the pool clean, because every floating debris will eventually sink, thus becoming a lot more difficult to remove and affecting the pool’s circulation system.
• Buying a pool vacuum cleaner is a must-do investment when having a swimming pool. These devices help you maintain the pool clean and they can reach even those difficult-to-reach areas, such as the bottom of the pool.
• Cleaning the pool filter every once in a few weeks is another maintenance activity. You should know that there are three types of pool filters: diatomaceous earth, sand and cartridge. Each of them has their own cleaning method, but they all need to be periodically cleaned.
• Water level must be checked regularly in order to ensure everything is perfect. Each swimming session ends with a lot of water lost. Don’t forget to check the water level when on a regular basis, such as when you remove the debris for instance, to ensure it doesn’t fall below the level recommended by the pool contractor.
All things considered, installing a swimming pool at home is probably one of the best investments homeowners can make, not only because this represents a great source of fun and entertainment for all family members, but also because it significantly increases house value.
Want to make your startup journey smooth? YS Education brings a comprehensive Funding Course, where you also get a chance to pitch your business plan to top investors. Click here to know more.