Merging companies? Here's your starting point for data migration
Data migration is an important facet that companies need to pay attention to when they are merging. Explore key steps thas businesses must consider while transferring data.
Wednesday May 17, 2023,
2 min Read
Disclaimer: This is a user generated content for MyStory, a YourStory initiative to enable its community to contribute and have their voices heard. The views and writings here reflect that of the author and not of YourStory.
When companies merge, data migration is a crucial aspect that needs to be addressed. Data migration involves transferring data from one system to another, and it can be a complex process.
Here are some starting points to consider when planning data migration for merging companies,
Steps to consider for data migration
- Identify the data to be migrated - The first step is to identify the data that needs to be migrated. This includes data from all departments, such as finance, human resources, sales, and marketing.
- Determine the source and destination systems - Determine the source and destination systems for the data migration. This will help you understand the technical requirements and limitations of the migration process.
- Assess the quality of data - Assess the quality of the data in the existing systems. This will help you determine the level of effort required to clean and transform the data before migrating it to the new system.
- Plan for data cleansing and transformation - Develop a plan for data cleansing and transformation. This may include data profiling, data cleansing, data standardization, and data enrichment.
- Develop a data migration strategy - Develop a data migration strategy that outlines the approach to be taken for each data type, including data validation and testing.
- Define data mapping rules - Define data mapping rules to ensure that data is migrated correctly and accurately. This includes defining the mapping between fields in the source and destination systems.
- Develop a data migration plan - Develop a detailed data migration plan that includes timelines, resource requirements, and contingency plans.
- Test the migration process - Test the migration process to ensure that the data is migrated correctly and accurately. This includes testing the data mapping, data validation, and data transformation processes.
By following these starting points, you can help ensure that the data migration process for merging companies is successful and that the new company has access to accurate and reliable data.