Latest InMobi research finds smartphones impression growth outpacing advanced phones 3 to 1
Wednesday January 05, 2011,
3 min Read
- Android and iPhone OS combined gain +9.3 pt. share in just 90 days
- Led by Apple iPhone +6.5 pt. share gain, iPhone OS and Android devices look to compete in this enormous market
InMobi, the world’s largest independent mobile ad network, has released its updated network research report closing the year with a snapshot of mobile advertising trends in Asia and India between July 2010 and October 2010. A full download of the data and analysis is available at www.inmobi.com/research.
“The rapid growth of media consumption via smartphones signifies an important shift in the Asian mobile advertising community. While consumers are already using their mobile devices as the primary screen in these emerging markets, the opportunity for marketers as adoption of smartphone technology increases will transform the global media landscape.”, comments James Lamberti, VP of Global Research & Marketing at InMobi.
Key findings include:
- The Asian market grew by 9% in only 90 days, just under 1 billion impressions, driven by huge increases in smartphone impressions (+719 million impressions, 47% growth).
- iPhone OS & Android gained +9.3 share points from July to October; however, they still significantly trail the market leading Nokia and Symbian OS, who collectively represent 41.2% of impressions in the region.
- Nokia devices represent 9 of the top 10 handsets, trailing only the Apple iPhone. The iPhone leads all of the Nokia devices by a significant margin, holding 8.2% share.
- Nokia manufactured devices still maintain the majority of impressions in the region (57% share).
- In India, smartphones did not show significant growth contrary to the rest of the Asia market. Overall mobile ad impressions outpaced Asia growth at 22%, driven by 26% increase of advanced phone impressions.
Comments Robert Woolfrey, Director of Brand Sales in APAC for InMobi, “Marketers' mobile advertising opportunities in the region continue to increase rapidly. 2010 trends in our network leave no doubt that brands now have a complimentary channel to TV to reach consumers, at scale, with a compelling creative experience. The smartphone revolution in the region will only enhance that trend in 2011.”
InMobi provides advertisers and publishers a display mobile advertising platform reaching tens of millions of Asian consumers through nearly 12.5 billion mobile ad impressions monthly. As a major ad network in Asia, InMobi is committed to providing the mobile industry a data-driven, distinctly Asian consumer perspective on the state of mobile advertising. This includes focus on all regions of Asia including India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan and dozens of other Asian countries. InMobi will continue to release network data and analysis periodically at www.InMobi.com/research to help educate the market from our independent market position.
InMobi is the world’s largest independent mobile advertising network. With six offices on four continents we provide advertisers, publishers and developers with a uniquely global solution for advertising. Our network is growing fast and we now deliver the unprecedented ability to reach 194 million consumers, in over 115 countries, through more than 24 billion mobile ad impressions monthly. We recently were selected as the 2010 AlwaysOn Global 250 Company to Watch in Silicon Valley.
InMobi is venture-backed with marquee investors including: Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers and Sherpalo Ventures. The company has offices in London, San Francisco, Bangalore, Tokyo, Mumbai and Singapore.
To learn more, please visit www.InMobi.com/research , follow us on Twitter @InMobi, or read our blog at www.InMobi.com/blog.