Cisco today announced that Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani, along with BITSAA International, its global alumni community, have successfully deployed the immersive, high-definition Cisco TelePresence® videoconferencing and Cisco WebEx® technologies as part of a cross-campus technology initiative named BITSConnect 2.0.
Set to transform the learning experience through campus-connectivity, this platform is aimed at creating a dynamic and collaborative learning environment by connecting classrooms through a MPLS – based data network. Custom-built using Cisco
TelePresence technology, the new virtual lecture facility will offer immersive, high-definition visual communications — enabling all students, regardless of location, to collaborate and participate as if they were in the same room as one another and their professor. The initiative will benefit over 11,000 students and 700 teachers and provide them with access to business leaders and guest lecturers located around the globe, enabling collaborative research and interactive learning a routine part of their lives.
On this initiative, Bijendra Nath Jain, vice-chancellor, BITS Pilani said, “BITSConnect 2.0, comes at a time when the Institute is on its way to become a top research-led university in Asia. This joint University-Alumni initiative will provide seamless integration of all campuses; create new avenues of research collaboration and knowledge sharing among faculty, students and researchers worldwide. BITSConnect 2.0 initiative will further strengthen industry linkage and enable remote placements with minimal travel costs to prospective employers.”
The highlights of this facility are:
• The largest and first-of-its-kind in India, this deployment will increase collaboration, foster innovation, enhance productivity, and streamline administration.
• Using the new Cisco Telepresence facility, BITS Pilani is offering 14 specialized electives to students across its three campuses.
• BITS will also utilize the Cisco® Capture, Transform, Share (CTS) video platform to enable professors to record lectures and make those lectures available for replay. This provides access to key content from any location and at any time.
• The technology provides an enhanced learning experience to students, through collaboration with students and faculty from other campuses – on an average; eight classes are conducted every day.
• BITS will be able to bring experts from across the globe for guest lectures, workshops, and other academic pursuits and students from all the three campuses can have real time interaction with the experts.
• BITS plans to leverage this technology for campus placements and faculty recruitments.
Cisco has a history of developing unique solutions for educational institutions. Through the Cisco Networking Academy™ program, the company’s 21st Century Schools initiative and numerous engagements with nongovernmental organizations whose aim is to boost opportunity through education, Cisco has helped multiply the impact of technology on millions of students and teachers around the globe.
Cisco is happy about this collaboration and Minhaj Zia, director, Collaboration Sales, Cisco India & SAARC said: “BITS Pilani is one of the leading institutes in India, which has been on the cutting-edge of technology use for years. This initiative is taking that to a new level and will foster new methods of collaboration, enrich the in-class experience, and help better utilize school resources.”
Want to make your startup journey smooth? YS Education brings a comprehensive Funding Course, where you also get a chance to pitch your business plan to top investors. Click here to know more.