A meetup at Hubraum, a Hackathon at Ahoy, a talk at The Factory — Berlin is known for its overload of events. Some days more than 20 exciting events are competing for local entrepreneurs, visiting corporate executives and digital nomads. Here 8+ calendars, platforms and social media outlets you can use to connect with the right people:
Publications & Calendars
- StartupDigest: With more than 7,000 mostly English-speaking subscribers StartupDigest is one of the strongest newsletters in Berlin. The very simple newsletter is linked to global calendar. Each entry is curated manually. Every Tuesday a newsletter is send out at 8am. StartupDigest is part of the TechStars Group.
- Silicon Allee: In 2015, Silicon Allee — Berlins oldest English speaking startup blog — changed its format to a feature-focused magazine. You can reach out to the editors to get event coverage or visit their monthly breakfast meetup — a great place to mingle with the movers & shakers in Berlin.
- Foundum: If you are working internationally, Foundum is a great add-on to look for events. The ecosystem in Berlin that is connected via Foundum is rather small — just 300 people — but the community on Foundum is growing. If you are a member — free sign-up! — you can easily register for its newsletter.
- BerlinValley: With 7,500 subscribers online and more than 15,000+ fans on Twitter and Facebook, the German magazine BerlinValley, founded in 2014, is a must for every event hunter. The calendar is simple and very user-friendly. It also covers international events. Selected events might be also covered in BerlinValleys (German) newsletter.
- Deutsche Startups: The German online portal Deutsche Startups is also listing events. You can also check their social media channels with its more than 100,000 fans. Be aware: German publication!
- Gründerszene: Gründerszene is one of the leading startup magazines in Berlin. Gründerszene is offering an event calendar with selected events and on its strong social media outlets the team is also promoting some of the upcoming gatherings, usually conferences and DemoDays. Do not be surprise if an event is not found in the calendar. Gründerszene is picky.
- Junge Gründer: The German publication is focusing on early-stage entrepreneurs and students. It has a very structured online calendar. On Facebook “Junge Gründer” has more than 12,000 fans. PS: Kevin Pflock, the founder of Junge Gründer, can be also found on many events. Watch out for him!
- Gründer Metropole Berlin: The German portal is focused on features and does not have a calendar. It is worth reaching out to the editors if you want to invite German speaking founders or get great pictures from the event.
While a few English speaking platforms existed, the majority of English speaking blogs shut down or refocused on features, e.g. TechBerlin and Heureka Magazin, the blog launched by the organizers of the Heureka conference.
Some social media outlets and groups
Social Media outlets are great to engage the local Berlin community. Keep in mind: You have to become member of the closed groups first. Facebook Groups you have to follow:
- Berlin Startup Events (closed group)
- Deutsche Startups (closed group)
- Berlin Startups Employees (closed group)
- Startup Europe (public group)
- New Europe Startups (closed group)
- European B2B Startups (public group)
- Junge Gründer (closed group)
Twitter & Google+
Yes, Google+ is not dead. There is an active group on Berlin Startup news with more than 3,600 members. On Twitter do not forget to tag the most relevant influencers and accounts. There is no special hashtag for German Startups but a few accounts you should follow:
- Berlin Startups on Linkedin
- Startup Network Germany on Linkedin
- Berlin Startups on G+
- German Startup Association on Twitter
- Get Started on Twitter
- TechBerlin on Twitter
Check out the Meetup platform and Eventbrite. Both platforms are very popular in the German startup community!
Want to make your startup journey smooth? YS Education brings a comprehensive Funding Course, where you also get a chance to pitch your business plan to top investors. Click here to know more.