Several people believe that creativity is reliant on 'good genes' or natural ability. While that is true to a certain extent, what most people don't know is that creativity can be enhanced by external forces as well. It is a delicate balance of nature and nurture. A variety of environmental and mental approaches can boost a person's creative output if he/she is facing a creative block.
Here are 20 quotes on creativity that will kick-start your imagination like never before.
- "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
- "The worst enemy of creativity is self-doubt." - Sylvia Plath
- "You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have." - Maya Angelou
- "Curiosity about life in all of its aspects, I think, is still the secret of great creative people."- Leo Burnett
- "If you want something new, you have to stop doing something old." - Peter F. Drucker
- "Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric." - Bertrand Russell
- "If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint', then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent van Gogh
- “You can’t wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club,” - Jack London
- “Don’t think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It’s self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can’t try to do things. You simply must do things,” - Ray Bradbury
- “Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.” - Salvador Dali
- "Creating opportunities means looking where others are not." - Mark Cuban
- "Creativity is intelligence having fun."- Albert Einstein
- "Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun."- Mary Lou Cook
- "Many prefer not to exercise their imaginations at all. They choose to remain comfortably within the bounds of their own experience, never troubling to wonder how it would feel to have been born other than who they are." - J.K. Rowling
- “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” - Scott Adams
- “The road to creativity passes so close to the madhouse and often detours or ends there.” - Ernest Becker
- “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol
- “Creativity is as important as literacy.” - Ken Robinson
- “Creative people are often found either disagreeable or intimidating by mediocrities.” - Criss Jami
- “That's the great secret of creativity. You treat ideas like cats: you make them follow you.” - Ray Bradbury
Inspired much? Come back to these quotes the next time you need some inspiration and motivation to think outside the box.