Kerala Floods: Here’s how you can help and contributeShruthi Mohan
As Kerala experienced the heaviest rainfall since 1924, millions of people remain stranded in God’s own country. The subsequent flooding has left hundreds of houses damaged, and thousands of families have been forced to take shelter in relief camps. A red alert has been issued in 11 districts as heavy rainfall has been predicted. With over 324 deaths being reported so far, several people are marooned without water, food and other basic necessities.
Here is a list of addresses, contacts and NGOs that are collecting relief material to help those affected by the floods.
The Chief Minister’s Disaster Relief Fund (CMDRF)
On August 14, Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan launched The Chief Minister's Disaster Relief Fund (CMDRF) to help people affected by the calamity. All contributions to the fund are 100 percent tax exempt.
CMDRF Account details:
Name of the donee: Chief Minister’s Distress Relief Fund
Account Number: 67319948232
Bank: State Bank of India
Branch: City Branch, Thiruvananthapuram
IFSC Code: SBIN0070028
Account type: Savings
SWIFT Code: SBININBBT08
Government district collection centres
Thiruvananthapuram: The Principal Secretary (Finance) Treasurer, Chief Minister's Distress Relief Fund, Secretariat, Thiruvananthapuram - 695001
Kannur: Control Room, Collectorate, Kannur - 670002
Phone: (9446682300, 04972700645)
Wayanad: District Collector, Collectorate, Kalpetta, Wayanad
Phone: (0469 204151, 9745166864, 9746239313)
Idukki: District Collector Idukki, Idukki Collectorate, Painavu P O, Kuyilimala, Idukki - 685603
1. Anbodu Kochi started collecting relief materials from August 11. From drinking water, ORS packets, toiletries, bags, sleeping mats, readymade food, clothes, utensils and blankets to name a few, the Kochi-based NGO is actively reaching out to people across social media. They have also made it a point to not collect money. Collection centers have been set up at six different cities and this is how you can help.
For Bengaluru, here are the details.
For Chennai, here are the details.
For Kochi, here are the details.
For Hyderabad, here are the details.
For Mumbai, here are the details.
For Ahmedabad, here are the details.
They have also started rescue call centers to help the victims. The contact numbers are: 8592933330, 9207703393
2. Delhi-based NGO Goonj is working on the ground with rescue and relief operations. Under its RAHAT initiative, it is calling out for support.
To contribute money: https://goonj.org/contribute/
To contribute material: https://goonj.org/droping-centres
3. Oxfam India is on the ground supporting the relief and rescue operations.
Platforms like Milaap and Ketto are also raising funds to procure the relief material.
Paytm: With an added feature that says “Kerala Floods,” digital wallet major Paytm has launched a dedicated section to raise funds. To donate click here- https://paytm.com
2.Amazon: Amazon is allowing donors to order items, pick an NGO and select their address, choose a payment method and complete the procedure. It has also partnered with Habitat for Humanity, World Vision India and Goonj.
You can find more details here- https://www.amazon.in/b?ie=UTF8&node=8891257031
3. Google Tez: Mobile payments gateway Google Tez has launched a dedicated section
4. Ola: The cab aggregator has announced that for every non-corporate ride that is booked, it will add Rs 5 to the CM's Relief Fund.
5. Google Finder: Google has activated a Person Finder tool for Kerala, which will allow users to track people who are missing. This page also allows one to add information about someone they have found, who have been displaced from their home and family. It has also pin-dropped a list of centres providing rescue operations, including shelters, food and water, medicine and essentials, volunteers, jeep rescue and ambulances, among others.
6. Facebook: The social media giant has activated its Safety Check feature for Kerala, which can be used to let friends and family know that they are safe. Facebook has also created a crisis response page that shows news and video content from public and media sources related to the flooding.
7. BigBasket: The grocery supplier is allowing buyers to purchase an essential kit of Rs 146 that contains rice, sugar and dal and donate to Delhi-based NGO Goonj.
Khalsa Aid India volunteers in Kerala are coordinating with the Gurdwara Shri Guru Singh Sabha in Kochi to serve cooked hot meals to those affected by the floods.
To donate to Kerala Floods Relief: https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/KeralaFloodsAppeal
Collection centres - City wise
Cochin: Regional Sports Centre, Kadavanthra (9809700000, 9895320567, 9544811555)
Ernakulam: St Alberts Church- Fr. Anthony Arackal- +919020301030, Popular Motors showroom, Mamangalam, Vivek - 9846425115; Jaijo - 8589992548; Akhil - 8589982381; Anish - 8086078728,
Trivandrum: Weavers Village in Rosscote Lane, opposite Trivandrum Club; Sri Mulam Club, Vazhuthacaud; and B-hub, Mar Iavnios Vidyanagar, Nalanchira
Hyderabad: The English and Foreign Languages University, near Sitaphalmandi Overbridge (8086869573, 9746286425, 91775096030), Banjara Hilla, Flat No 6-3-594/10A, Anand Nagar (7842216157, 8790408101, 8606821009), Tata Institute of Social Sciences, NIRD Road, Rajendranagar (73820922647, 7995926635, 9633134831, 8547930466), SMR Vinay City, Bolarum Road, Miyapur (900035188, 9703503573, 8886555226, 9840921173)
Bengaluru: Sankara Eye Hospital Kundalahali Gate, Varthur Main Road (9739011685); Avohi, Venus Building, Kalyana Mandapa Road, Jakkasandra Ext, Koramangala (9731980066); Confederation of Indian Industry, CII, 12 Main, HAL 2nd Stage, Indiranagar (7001663618, 9740233244); Tanzeb, 4017, First Cross Road, Stage 2, Domlur (9916900719); Keli Cultural Association, Pruksa Silvana, Nimbekaipura Road, Budigere Cross, Old Madras Road (9945481192); Midway City Owners Association, Concorde Midway City, Basapura Road, Hosa Road Junction (9964741820, 8041234875); Ganga Vertica, Neeladri main Road, Electronic City (8867846625), Visthar, KRC Road, Kothanur Post (080 28465294/5, 9964171982), Indian Social Institute, Benson Town, Bengaluru - 560046 (080 23536189/23536364, 9980331471), SCM - India, Mission Road (080 22223761), The Purple Turtles, Domlur, 8041528039,
Chennai: Lotus Exotic Journeys, 33/17, Thomas Nagar, Little Mount, Saidapet, (9789053919), Navin Dayton heights, B block, community Hall, No.76, Nelson Manickam Road (7871512200, 9884408677, 9442527878).