Coronavirus threat: Delhi govt bans sports gatherings, including IPL
The Delhi government has put a ban on all sports gatherings, including the Indian Premier League 2020, in the national capital amid the coronavirus threat, Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said on Friday.
Addressing a press conference, Sisodia said district magistrates have been asked to ensure that all directives pertaining to coronavirus are implemented.
"All sports gatherings will be banned, including the IPL, in wake of the coronavirus threat," he said.
Health Minister Satyendar Jain said home quarantine is the best solution in case one shows any symptoms pertaining to coronavirus.
Delhi has so far reported six cases of coronavirus (COVID-19), which has been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation.
Delhi government's decision has also raised fresh doubts over the fate of India Open (badminton), a crucial event in the Tokyo Olympics qualification cycle.
"We will go by what the government decides. It is not in our hand. We have to follow the government's decisions. Currently there is no clarity on the visa process of the foreign players and on top of it, now the Delhi govt has come up with this directive," a Badminton Association of India (BAI) official told PTI.
The BAI and the Badminton World Federation (BWF) had issued a joint statement on Wednesday, informing that the event will be held inside closed doors due to the coronavirus outbreak.
However, the central government on Wednesday night issued a revised travel advisory, suspending all existing visas, except diplomatic and employment, till April 15.
The Sports ministry on Thursday asked all national federations, including the cricket board, to follow the Health Ministry's advisory and avoid large gatherings in sports events.
Given the circumstances, the BAI has sought clarity from the sports, health and external affairs ministries regarding the visa process of the foreign players.
The federation has sent a letter to the respective ministries, attaching the names of the foreign players who were supposed to travel for the India Open.
"We have provided the details of the foreign players who were supposed to come for the India Open. We are waiting for a response," the official said.
"It is a difficult situation for us as well. A decision has to be made at the earliest. Being hosts, we have to continue with the preparation," he added.
The COVID-19 outbreak, which has claimed close to 5,000 lives and infected more than 130,000 people globally, has forced the postponement of four Olympic qualifying badminton events so far — Lingshui China Masters (February 25 to March 1), Vietnam International Challenge (24-29 March 24-29), German Open (March 3 to 8) and Polish Open (March 26-29).
Earlier, the shooting World Cup and the Indian Open golf tournament were postponed in Delhi as well.
(Edited by Kanishk Singh)
Want to make your startup journey smooth? YS Education brings a comprehensive Funding Course, where you also get a chance to pitch your business plan to top investors. Click here to know more.