The job of a consultant is vague as the professional works to propagate the business for desired results. The same professional hired by different companies will bring different results for the company.rimpi sharma
The job of a consultant is vague as the professional works to propagate the business for desired results. So to achieve the results, the professional need to work on any segment of the company and that can be sales, designing strategies, management, marketing, programming or any other section. There can be a domino effect of the sector to the business growth and the professional help is required to figure out the issues and solve it.
This is not strange; in fact, this is very common. The same professional hired by different companies will bring different results for the company. Even if the issues are similar, the companies’ size is almost on the same footing and fees of the professional are not compromised, yet the biased results are obtained.
Well, there is no personal animosity by the professional towards the client; in fact, the top results add a benchmark to the consultant’s career as well. So, it is a seldom instance where the professional will hamper or not work honestly for the client. It is basically a few pointers of the approach that might be the trigger factor for the undesired results.
• Open the hidden treasure- like a medical practitioner, the entrepreneur should discuss the history of the company to provide a complete view. This helps the professional to have a clear visibility of the company and therefore is saved from digging the past and saves a lot of time. The internal grievances, financial issues, employees’ hostility all are issues which plague the company for a long period and sharing info with the professional to help them in achieving the goals.
• Planning is the crux- from hiring till parting every step needs to be organized between the client and the consulting company. It helps to understand the expectations, confidentiality pact, and the weak spots and of course streamlines the process to the results. It is very important to plan each and every move to bring clarity to the project.
• The client expectation- well, this is an ambiguous aspect, but of course for both, the professional and the client builds a bridge which works both ways. The consultant is an expert who can figure out the multiple issues in the existing framework but he should understand the urgent need for the entrepreneur and work accordingly.
The client, on the other hand, needs to have an estimate of how much to expect from the professional. For example, there is always a difference in expectation from someone who has come for installing furniture to someone who is hired to design the place. So, instead of having arbitrary goals, chalk the rational expectations before hiring the professional.
• The frequency to summon for the professional help - well, this is very crucial, as some businesses especially IT, startups and few others might need the consultants in intermittent intervals and some might need them not so frequently. The category of the business does command the need for professional help. The top 10 industries where consulting is necessary can provide help.
• The invisible line – consultant is the mentor for the company, so even if the plans and suggestions might not be appealing or feasible, yet try to give in to the new approach. After all, it is a common saying that nothing is permanent but change. So, as the proprietor of the company agreeing to the professional bizarre ideas and plans does not mean succumbing to the pressure of the professional.
These ‘bizarre’ ideas can be the trigger point for a new horizon.
The perfect consultant is not easy to find, but with a few steps, the client can always get the best results from the expert consultant. So, the next time you are going to hire someone for professional help, get the maximum with the above approach ideas.