VisionSpring, an organization that helps provide affordable eyewear to the BoP, is looking for a Chief Operating Officer located in New York City. VisionSpring operates throughout the world, including in India. Many of us are probably more familiar with the organization’s former name Scojo Foundation. Here are details of the company and the position:
VisionSpring (www.visionspring.org) is a global social enterprise that creates jobs and sustains livelihoods through the sale of affordable eyeglasses to the more than 400 million people who need them to work and live productive lives. A leader in social enterprise and Base of the Pyramid (BoP) markets, VisionSpring has been recognized by President Clinton as helping “hundreds of thousands of people and in the process create a whole new sector of the economy.” Praised as “innovative” by The Economist and “life-changing” by NBC Nightly News, VisionSpring is the recipient of awards from the Skoll Foundation, the Aspen Institute, the World Bank, and Fast Company Magazine, among others, for its role in poverty alleviation and social capitalism.
The functions of this role fall into four major categories: managing the day-to-day operations/executing the VisionSpring strategy, ensuring compliance with all legal, finance, tax and regulatory responsibilities, driving all Human Resources activities, and supervising fund raising activities.
1. Managing the Day to Day Operations/Executing the Vision Spring Strategy
– Oversee the design, delivery and quality of programs and services.
– Creates and maintains procedures for implementing the strategy developed by the Chairman and CEO and the Board of Directors.
– Provide strategic guidance for direct reports: VP of Sales & Operations, VP of Business Development, the Regional Director – Asia and their respective areas of responsibility.
– Directs the organizational flow of communication among Team (regional and home office) and the three boards, Chairman and CEO and other service partners.
– Manages allocation of resources including maximizing the operational impact of annual donations and building a more sustainable business model.
2. Ensuring Compliance with all legal, tax, finance and regulatory responsibilities
– Ensures that the VisionSpring resources are within the budget – guidelines according to current laws and regulations.
– Ensures compliance for both the Team and service providers with GAAP and other appropriate accounting procedures.
– Stays informed and current of important finance, regulatory and legal issues, and provides associated required reporting and compliance.
– Oversees and manage, with guidance from the Chair of the Audit Committee, the annual audit.
3. Driving all Human Resources activities
– Leads the development, documentation and communication of HR policies and procedures.
– Oversees all employee compensation and benefits plans.
– Ensures that each employee is managed according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations.
– Ensures that each employee receives an annual performance review that includes a plan for development and training.
– Sets up and participates in formal mentoring partnerships for Team and ensures that it is ongoing and that goals are achieved
and progress is made.
– Organizes recruitment and contracting of project team and service providers.
4. Overseeing Business Development Activities with Support from the CEO and Chairman and the VP of Business Development
– Supervises the development and execution of the fund raising and communications strategies.
– Attends key fund raising meetings with or in place of the CEO and Chairman.
– Generates ideas for potential business development opportunities.
– Oversees content, production, and distribution of all marketing and publicity materials.
Additional information and the application procedure can be found on LinkedIn.