Design for the first world : Win 1000 dollars.Team YS
We live in a complex world, one full of inequities and wonderful things. Our fellows in the First World have been concerned for a while with us having the major share of the badness, so we thought, why don’t we pay back? After all, their life isn’t problem-free either. And that’s where this competition starts.We’re calling artists, designers, tinkerers, makers, and thinkers with an idea to participate. Two conditions only: you were born in and live right now in a Developing Country and you are 13 years of age or older.
Design for the first world (Dx1W) has proclaimed 2010 International Year of the First World in Need, and has defined four main areas to address: Food Production and Eating Disorders, Aging Population and Low Birth rate, Immigration and Integration to Society, Sustainability and Over consumption.
Furthermore, one of the major aims of the Year will be to demonstrate the beneficial effects of cultural diversity. We want to recognize the importance of transfers and exchanges between cultures through implicit or explicit dialogue that underlines how cultures and civilizations are interlinked and contribute to the progress of humankind.
The strategy of the International Year consists in mainstreaming the above-mentioned principles in all policy-making at local, national, regional and international levels through the involvement of the greatest number of relevant stakeholders. The activities carried out under the International Year focus on:
- Reducing obesity.
- Addressing aging population and low birth rate.
- Reducing consumption rate of mass produced goods.
- Integrating the immigrant population.
The Dx1W competition is addressed to the developing countries of the world: All creative solutions depend on having a powerful idea. Whether it’s great resources, military, politics or government, power and size are not enough without having a powerful vision. The First World needs our ideas to solve their problems. First World problems demand Simple Third World solutions. From today on The Third World will bring ideas to redesign the future of the First World.
Individual and team submissions are welcomed.
- Select one of the proposed areas to work.
- Select a population with that problem to apply your solutions.
- Think of an original idea that will solve the problem you selected.
- Think how to apply that idea to a specific community in the First World.
- Plan how you will make it happen. Write, draw, film, design. Renderings and extensive planning is encouraged but not necessary.
- Use text, photos, and video to explain your project.
- Register and Login into the site to apply.
- Submit your idea on time.
The prize, oh the prize. In very First World style, the best designs and solutions will get a cash prize, will be featured in a beautifully designed catalogue and their work will be shown in a gallery in NYC. The best project will get $1000 dollars. 15 other designs will also be exhibited and showcased in the catalog.
- Participants should be 13 years of age or older and a legal resident of a Developing country.
- The idea should not involve religious advocacy or proselytizing.