Very recently ADOBE released AIR 2, upgrading the features and foundations of software firms.
AIR is a programming foundation that allows a net application to run on any platform like- WINDOWS, MAC OS X, LINUX and also in the forth coming GOOGLE android mobile phones. The software can run standalone programs written by either ADOBE’s flash technology or with courtesy of built in browser engine, with HTML and JAVA script too. These AIR applications run on their own, though not with the browser.
The success of AIR is quiet overwhelming. It is installed in nearly 300 million desktop computers. Though there are many customers for AIR, ADOBE has to face many challenges. The challenging avenues for AIR are as follows
- It is disengaged from Apple’s IOS devices like iPhone, iPod and iPad.
- HTML or JAVA script can handle and accomplish more similar tasks than AIR
- Efforts are being made by Mozilla prism to make web applications free of browser frames, though the results are not satisfactory.
- And in general it is difficult to convince user’s to adapt to a new programming platform.
The striking features of AIR 2 which may attract many customers are as follows:-
- Lessened memory and process demands
- Better networking features, for example enabling multi player games that needs chat
- Support for modern web standards such as CSS 3’s transform and HTML 5’s Canvas 2D graphics.
- Better performance while running JAVA
- Better control over printing
- Better hardware support including multi touch interfaces, printer control, USB drive detection and microphone recording
AIR 2 also benefits from the improvements in Flash player 10.1 released recently.
ADOBE is also working on certain video decoding improvements through a project called GALA. Let’s wait and see the effect of such up gradations and also their effectiveness.
In business with ADOBE AIR you can deliver branded rich internet applications (RIA’s) that gives a closer relationship with the customer. By using AIR as a part of RIA strategy, one can boost productivity, enhance market reach, and improve customer relations and retention. Companies like FedEx, FOX studios, DIRECTTV, NASDAQ are already using AIR as a part of their RIA strategy
Thus, AIR platform unleashes the creativity of designers and developers by providing a consistent and flexible environment for delivery of applications over varied devices and platforms