Start Up! is an incubator, angel investor and consultant to social entrepreneurs. We launch, strengthen, and scale social ventures.
What We Do
As angel investors, we invest non-financial resources to incubate seed and early stage social enterprises. Our investments of time and expertise are geared to put ventures quickly on their feet and make them scale and capital ready.
As consultants, we get excited about:
- Scaling social change models
- Developing the next generation of innovations for social enterprises and CSOs
- Assessing the impact of social change ideas and processes
- Putting change models on sustainability paths
- Engaging with social entrepreneurs through due diligence processes
We are looking for an entrepreneurial person with a keenness to learn and grow with a small team that is focussed on social entrepreneurship. You will be a part of the incubation team for seed- and early-stage social enterprises. In parallel, you will also be the primary client liaison on consulting projects and facilitate the delivery of customised solutions to established social enterprises and not-for-profit organisations. The consulting projects that Start Up! undertakes are typically focussed on scaling up of organisations, research and development of products and services, building resilient institutions, due diligence, and assessing impact.
Role: Programme Manager
Reporting to: Director
Work arrangement: Full-time permanent position
You will be working across the two verticals of Start Up!
1. Incubation/Investment Services
You will work as part of the team incubating social enterprises to develop investor-ready business plans for Start Up! incubatees (including donor-ready proposals in case of hybrid organisations). This will require you to:
- Develop an understanding of the social businesses through working sessions and field-level activity
- Gather and analyse industry and competitor information
- Assist with the processes of market assessment and of defining key business strategies
- Support building of business and revenue models, with focus on social impact along with financial returns
- Undertake financial forecasting for the social ventures
- Analyse the best methods and sources of financing in the short, medium and long-term
- Drive the process of negotiation and closure of deals for the investees
- Coach the social entrepreneur to strengthen his/her understanding of running a financially-sustainable business
- Support the documentation of the business plans
- Develop and manage a robust investor network
- Support with identifying and collaborating with strategic partner organization
2. Consulting Services
You will be required to lead and manage consulting projects. This will require you to:
- Manage client relationships
- Ensure timely and active project management, including organising and managing project teams and stakeholders
- Work on the project, which typically includes conduct of research and analysis, and field work, to develop practical recommendations and solutions that maximise impact.
- Organize and manage project teams and ensure regular communication with all stakeholders
As part of a small, fast-moving entrepreneurial team, you will also be required to support the development of Start Up!‘s programmes, products and services.
Knowledge, skills and attributes requirements
- A proven track record in management consulting and/or the investment space, with an understanding of India markets
- Understanding of accounting, valuation methodologies, financial modeling and forecasting, and transaction execution
- Understanding of the regulatory framework of the India investment space
- Maturity, initiative, problem-solving capability, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task
- Strong communication skills
- Willingness to travel, including to rural locations
- Fluency in English and Hindi; knowledge of additional Indian languages will be a plus.
- Excellent skills in MS office/equivalent applications, especially MS Excel, MS Word and MS PowerPoint
Minimum education qualification and work experience requirements
- Post-graduation, with a specialisation in business management, finance, accounting or economics is preferred
- Prior experience as an entrepreneur or as a lead team member in a social enterprise is preferred
- Prior work experience of evaluation of investment opportunities and/or financial structuring for companies, or similar experience, of 4-5 years is a must
Please forward your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org