After rolling out its new maternity benefit program which entitles all new mothers to get 6 months of paid maternity leave; along with 4 months of flexible working hours with full pay, and a year long career break without pay, Flipkart is taking another step in setting a benchmark for Indian companies. The multi-billion dollar e-commerce giant has now unveiled a new adoption policy for its employees with the objective of providing adopting parents reasonable time to establish a bond with their child. Titled as the ‘Adoption Assistance Program’, the new policies are expected to add a lot of value and encourage work-life balance.
According to the Central Adoption Resource Authority, for the first time in three years, adoption of children has seen a slight increase with 1,368 children finding new homes in the quarter between January-March 2015. An increasing number of young working couples are coming forward to adopt children, and a majority of them are young working professionals. This interest and demand can be attributed to a broader outlook amongst these couples about providing an orphaned child a new life and a good home. To encourage this change in attitude as well as a fading stigma about adopting a baby in the society, Flipkart has introduced this new program that includes:
1. Adoption allowance: Employees are eligible for paid adoption leave and INR 50,000 adoption allowance to use towards legal, agency and regulatory costs or any other costs that may arise during the adoption process.
2. Adoption Leave
- Adoptive mothersare given the same amount of time as a maternity leave policy (6 months paid leave + 4 months of flexible working hours)
- Adoptive fathersare eligible for 6 weeks of paid leave under this program
3. Additional time off
- Policy on approved absence is quite flexible and is an added avenue for all the people to support their personal needs and priorities
- Additional extended unpaid leave for up to 3 months will also be available with assurance of continuity on the same job
4. Childcare support: Provide tie-ups with day-care centres which is co-shared between employee and employer (50:50) for children up to 6 years of age
5. Support: From wellness coach on parenting, childcare, emotional health, work-life balance, family health etc.
Want to make your startup journey smooth? YS Education brings a comprehensive Funding Course, where you also get a chance to pitch your business plan to top investors. Click here to know more.