Compared to last year, Amazon India's number of crorepati sellers grew by over 117 percent this festive season.
After running three dedicated sales on October 10-15, October 24–28 and November 2-5, Amazon India has claimed this year's ‘The Great Indian Festival’ as one of its biggest in the country ever.
And there is merit to this thought. During the first sale period, RedSeer Consultancy reported that online shoppers topped all records by spending $2.3 billion over five days across various ecommerce players.
Amit Agarwal, SVP and Country Head, Amazon India, in a statement said,
“The Great Indian Festival 2018 was our biggest celebration ever with more than half of online Indian shoppers choosing to buy on Amazon.in, making it the most visited and transacted marketplace in India. With 99.3 percent of pin codes placing at least one order, 89 percent of new customers came from smaller towns, and almost 70,000 small and medium businesses got at least one order.
Speaking about subscriptions, Amit added,
“Prime memberships grew nearly two times. We are humbled that India trusts us to find, discover and buy anything online. We realise that this is merely Day 1 for ecommerce in India and we will continue to invest in transforming how India buys and sells.”
Amazon India also claimed that it more than doubled the number of crorepati sellers, which is up by 117 percent. Here are the highlights which stood out for the ecommerce giant this sale season:
Reaching out to every corner
Interestingly, Amazon claims to have flown more than 300 flights, on their busiest day, for faster deliveries. So, what did it result in?
- Over 89 percent new customers who came to shop on Amazon were from tier-II
- 81 percent customers who shopped at last year's Great Indian Festival did so again this year
- Amazon delivered far and wide including Solan (HP), Pinjore (Haryana), Malda (WB), Angul (Odisha), Havelock (Andamans), Mavelikkara (Kerala), Kotdwara (Uttarakhand), Hapur (UP), Mundra (Gujarat), Tinsukia (Assam) and Dumka (Jharkhand)
- It said that 45 of their customers across the country received their orders for large appliances in just 48 hours
- Amazon said that it added Prime members from over 340 cities
- October was one of the biggest months this year with the largest number of streaming customers
- Prime Music received the highest number of daily active listeners since the service launched
- 75 percent of sales during the Amazon Great Indian Festival was powered by Amazon Pay and financing options
- EMIs grew 2x over last year and 12x over an average business day; 3 out of 4 customers who used EMI availed 'No Cost EMI' benefit
- 70 percent customers who used EMI came from tier-II cities and beyond
- Bank discounts and cashbacks drove 95 percent YoY growth
- New to credit customer adoption grew 19x
When asked, Amazon refused to share absolute numbers around the same.
Categories that worked for Amazon India
- Amazon Fashion saw 100 percent growth over last year’s festive season
- Large appliances sale in 'Great Indian Festival' was 2.5 times of last year’s event
- Almost 50 percent of customers purchased large appliances on EMIs this festive season
Want to make your startup journey smooth? YS Education brings a comprehensive Funding and Startup Course. Learn from India's top investors and entrepreneurs. Click here to know more.