Will resign as CEO as soon as I find someone foolish enough to take the job: Elon Musk

By Press Trust of India
December 21, 2022, Updated on : Wed Dec 21 2022 03:16:36 GMT+0000
Will resign as CEO as soon as I find someone foolish enough to take the job: Elon Musk
Musk added this tweet to his earlier post on Sunday in which he had asked, in an online poll, if he should step down as head of Twitter.
  • +0
    Clap Icon
Share on
close
  • +0
    Clap Icon
Share on
close
Share on
close

Twitter's new billionaire owner Elon Musk has said that he will resign as the social media company's chief executive as soon as he finds "someone foolish enough to take the job".


"I will resign as CEO as soon as I find someone foolish enough to take the job! After that, I will just run the software & servers teams," he tweeted on Tuesday.


Musk added this tweet to his earlier post on Sunday in which he had asked, in an online poll, if he should step down as head of Twitter.


"I will abide by the results of this poll," he had said.


A total of 57.5 per cent voted "yes" after the 51-year-old billionaire asked his 122 million followers whether he should stand down. Over 17 million votes were cast in the poll that began on Sunday evening and ended early Monday morning with most respondents voting in the affirmative, CNN reported.


In the past, Musk has obeyed Twitter polls. He's fond of quoting the phrase "vox populi, vox dei", a Latin phrase that roughly means "the voice of the people is the voice of God".


Since buying Twitter for $44 billion and taking over as the CEO in late October, Musk, who also runs Tesla and SpaceX, has journeyed from one controversy to the next.


Musk also announced on Twitter that major policy changes would be voted on moving forward.


The poll comes as Twitter says it will shut down accounts solely designed to promote other social media platforms.


The measure would also affect accounts that link off to or contain usernames from platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon, Truth Social, Tribel, Nostr and Post, the company said in a tweet, the BBC reported.


But cross-content posting from other sites will still be allowed.


Twitter had already blocked users from sharing some links to Mastodon, the platform many Twitter users moved to after Musk's takeover.


But in a series of tweets on Sunday, Twitter said, "We recognize that many of our users are active on other social media platforms. However, we will no longer allow free promotion of certain social media platforms on Twitter.


"Specifically, we will remove accounts created solely for the purpose of promoting other social platforms and content that contains links or usernames for the following platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon, Truth Social, Tribel, Nostr and Post."


Examples of possible violations could include tweets such as "follow me @username on Instagram" or "check out my profile on Facebook - facebook.com/username", it said in a blog setting out the details.


Any attempts to bypass the restrictions would also be a breach.


Musk's announcement was the latest in a series of decisions by Twitter to generate blowback, after the suspension last week of more than half a dozen journalists who report on Musk.


Musk immediately fired several top executives, including its Indian-American CEO Parag Agrawal, and laid off about half of Twitter's staff after he took over as the head of the social media platform in October.


He then gave an ultimatum to the remaining staff that they need to do "extremely hardcore" work or leave, resulting in another thousand or so employees quitting the company.


Musk has started, stopped, and restarted a revised verification system that costs $8 for a blue check mark.


The billionaire's approach to content moderation has also been criticised, with some civil liberties groups accusing him of taking steps that will increase hate speech and misinformation.


On Friday, he reinstated a number of journalists he had suspended for allegedly sharing location data about him after the EU and UN called it an attack on press freedom.


Reporters for The New York Times, CNN and The Washington Post were among those locked out of their accounts.


Edited by Swetha Kannan

Clap Icon0 Shares
  • +0
    Clap Icon
Share on
close
Clap Icon0 Shares
  • +0
    Clap Icon
Share on
close
Share on
close