The SEO practices one should know to start your career. Entrepreneurs and business owner should know the value it brings in.Anand
By choosing a career out of SEO you will be intimidated by the number of techniques to learn, ways to rank the keywords and fun behind. When your efforts start yielding results you will fall in love. There are many SEO gurus’ / experts in the industry for nearly two decades, learning new ways and hacks as and when comes algorithm changes. I am Anand Narayanappa, Freelance SEO consultant (from a leading digital marketing company in Bangalore) will walk you through the basics of SEO in this article.
When you start with SEO there are many basics to learn, and when you know the game, you need to advance yourself with strategies and techniques to catch up with the race.
SEO is an internet technology which is pretty easy to learn. But before you get overwhelmed, be aware that it consists of a lot of modules, each module dwells with its own complexity, if you narrow down the SEO fundamental modules based on the concepts your learning curve would be easy.
1. Learn and understand the Broader aspect of SEO before you start with tricks and techniques. The Big picture of Search engine optimization is to optimize your website for search engine algorithms which makes easy for you to rank your site higher in search engines for the “Keywords” relevant to your business. There are many ways to rank the keywords but ultimately every effort on SEO boils down to improving your search results. Your ranking is based on the measure of relevant content present on your website for the search query and the authority of your website. Website page authority and domain authority plays a prominent role in measuring how secure and trustable is your site by the google.
2. As mentioned earlier Domain Authority & Page authority which is typically addressed PA, DA of the site in SEO terms. Having a good PA and DA will give you an extra mile in SEO. MOZ is the industry leader who provides the PA and DA score for your web page and domain based on how trustworthy your site is for the users. It is typically scored based on the no of incoming links(inbound) and quality of links to you your site. DA score is same across all the pages of the website since it is specific to the domain while PA is not similar rather specific to each page. Each webpage on your website can have a different PA. Internal Linking pages technically helps some of your page PA score higher over others.
3. On page SEO: On page SEO or On-site optimization mean the same. It’s a set of tasks which you have to perform to make your website indexable and search engine friendly. The task pretty simple and straightforward to implement which would be the same across all the websites for that instance. The primary On page SEO task would be optimizing your Page title, meta keywords, Description (which should ideally include your primary keyword) and content. Ensure you maintain a good content ratio over images. Then come to your image optimization Alt tags and header tag optimization.
4. Content Marketing: Content is the heart of SEO. Your target keywords start ranking only with quality content you develop over a period of time. The authority of the site increase with the volume of good content developed on the site continuously. Do not live your site untouched with content unless you don’t want to rank your keywords. Google loves and values fresh Content developed on your website.
The above four components are the basics of SEO. You should learn and stay put to proceed further.
5. OFF Page SEO: Optimizing your keywords from any other website. Link building plays a major role in off page SEO. It’s a technique of content marketing on other websites to build links to your site. Guest blogging, Forum conversation, commenting on external site are few ways to get a backlink to your website. By doing this you create content, backlink, traffic to your site, and brand your business or company at the same time. Building links is not a tough job building a quality link is one.
6. Web Analytics: If you need to scale up on SEO of any website you need to learn and understand the metrics of it. Unless you know how to measure your SEO efforts and website health you don’t get too far in SEO. Google has the best analytics tool which is free of cost. Integrating google analytics to your will help learn what is happening on your site. Google analytics gives you a lot of information on your website traffic. This is something which goes in depth to learn. Google shares lots of article on how to effectively use analytics to favour your SEO.
7. Site issues: This is a crucial thing on the other hand, though you’re not a web developer identifying site issues is important to get it fixed. Google webmasters is another free tool by Google to identify, monitor your website issues and search instances. Integrate google webmaster to get a quick update on your site issues. This is again a huge thing to dig into.
These are the basic Seven SEO practices you should learn. Once your confident in these practices and know how to measure your work you will have a sign of relief. That’s the time you need to dive in for the big picture of SEO and master it. Remember; Theories of SEO are not complete unless you work on those. It is said that people are good at SEO theories but putting those to execution and make it work is where the challenge lies.