Cosmetic dentistry involves various procedures done by dentists that aim at improving the aesthetics of your smile. It is different from dental hygiene and focuses only on improving the appearance of the teeth. The process may involve the whitening of teeth, reshaping teeth, gap filling, covering broken teeth, etc.
With the advancement in technology, the procedures for cosmetic dentistry have evolved over time. Nowadays, these are widely accepted amongst the population for improved appearances. Before opting for any such technique, it is essential to know the details about the procedure. The following information is the detailed description that you must know before opting for cosmetic dentistry.
Let’s see what procedures come under the category of cosmetic dentistry:
• Teeth Whitening or Bleaching: Teeth may become stained yellow and lose their sparkling shine over time. Yellowing of teeth may occur as a result of improper dental care and consumption of drinks like coffee, alcohol, etc. which are unhealthy for teeth. Dentists may use peroxide as bleach for shiny teeth. However, it is reversible, and staining may occur again if proper care is not taken.
• Bonding: You can opt for this procedure if you have gaps between your teeth, or require filling up of scratches. Dentists use filling materials to fill the cavities or for shaping the tooth. These bonding materials usually last few years and wear out on their own after that.
• Veneers: They are shells that help change the color or shape of the teeth. They are usually made of porcelain or plastic. They cover the front sides of the teeth. They improve the appearance and are more reliable than bonding. Also, they are less expensive than crowns. It can help people who have:
o Spaces between teeth
o Chipped or worn teeth
o Stained teeth
o Poorly shaped teeth
• Crowns: They cover the entire tooth, giving it a new form and color. Crowns can easily and neatly cover a misshapen or discolored tooth, protect a weak tooth, restore a broken or worn tooth and cover a tooth with a large filling. Also, crowns are necessary to cover the tooth after a root canal surgery. Crowns are made from metal, porcelain fused to metal, resin, or ceramic materials. They usually have a long life, if properly taken care of.
• Enamel Shaping and Contouring: This is used to alter the length, shape, or position of teeth. This can be used to cure crooked, chipped, and irregular teeth. Dentists may usually combine contouring with bonding for better appearance.
• Braces: Today, braces are widely used by people of all ages to improve the look of teeth that are crooked or crowded. Braces apply pressure to the teeth and reposition them. Usually, they are worn for over a few months or years, depending on the case.
Healthforu is the healthcare startup which guides the patients to find the best doctors, hospitals and labs. No wonder its motto is ‘Truly Yours’. Another feature of the website is the health articles.
How has the coronavirus outbreak disrupted your life? And how are you dealing with it? Write to us or send us a video with subject line 'Coronavirus Disruption' to email@example.com