In a startup, finding a right mentor at the right time is like elixir ‘somrus’. To start and grow a healthy, thriving business, we need to make books a regular part of our diet. While meeting most of the successful entrepreneurs, I usually came across one thing they all had in common: They are well read and are able to execute their learning. Entrepreneurs must have time management acumen and find ways to take out a meaningful amount of reading time from their schedule. Constant learning is the key. Finding ways to carve out enough space in the day to dedicate to reading is the difference between a hobbyist and a successful entrepreneur. As engineers, we are not exposed to entrepreneur acumen & I find most of these books as an essential course to go through before startup. These books guided me to scale our bootstrapped start-up labkafe to millions from scratch and in making better moves when things were difficult. The relevant book chosen at the right time proves to be an excellent guiding mentor & companion. These books have the right balance of facts, stories, inspiration, and actions, and somehow leave us better entrepreneur afterwards.
Here is the list of top 10 books engineers must read before startup. The list is not in any ranking order; one can read as it suits.
1. The High-Performance Entrepreneur by Subroto Bagchi
2. The Law of Success in Sixteen Lessons Paperback by Napoleon Hill
3. Fanatical Prospecting: The Ultimate Guide to Opening Sales Conversations and Filling the Pipeline by Leveraging Social Selling, Telephone, Email, Text and Cold Calling by Jeb Blount
4. The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber
5. The Hard Thing about Hard Thing: Building a Business When There are No Easy Answers by Ben Horowitz
6. The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do, and How to Change by Charles Duhigg
7. Sell: The Art, the Science, the Witchcraft by Subroto Bagchi
8. Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products by Nir Eyal
9. Why I Stopped Wearing My Socks by Alok Kejriwal
10. The Lean Startup: How Constant Innovation Creates Radically Successful Businesses by Eric Ries
Want to make your startup journey smooth? YS Education brings a comprehensive Funding Course, where you also get a chance to pitch your business plan to top investors. Click here to know more.