This is a user generated content for MyStory, a YourStory initiative to enable its community to contribute and have their voices heard. The views and writings here reflect that of the author and not of YourStory.

What type of visa do you need to work in the UK?

What type of visa do you need to work in the UK?

Thursday December 06, 2018,

4 min Read

Tier 2 (General) visa is a work permit that allows skilled workers to go and work in the UK in the event that they get a job offer from a Tier 2 Visa sponsored company.

1.      What is a tier 2 visa sponsored company?

For any company that operates in the UK and would like to hire someone from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, it should be registered as a tier 2 visa sponsored company. You can visit the list of tier 2 visa sponsored companies for reference.

2.      Can the tier 2 visa sponsored companies sponsor anyone?

Simply put, no. Your job position needs to be in demand and be listed in the tier 2 shortage occupation list, and you must be paid a certain amount depending on the occupation.

3.      Jobs that are listed on the tier 2 visa shortage occupation list

- Production managers

- Physical scientists

- Civil engineers

- Mechanical engineers

- Electrical engineers

- Design and development engineers

- IT specialist managers

- IT business analysts, architects, and system designers

- Programmers and software development professionals

- Information technology and communication professionals

- Medical practitioners

- Nurses

4.      In order to get a tier 2 visa, you need to score 70 points; below is the tier 2 point system

Condition Points

Having a job offer from a tier 2 sponsor company (certificate of sponsorship)


Receiving an appropriate salary for the job in question


Meeting the English language criteria


Having enough maintenance funds


·        Job offer from tier 2 Sponsor Company.

You must get a job offer from a tier 2 sponsor company. This is the most important part will give you the highest points in order to reach 70.

·        Tier 2 appropriate salary

Tier 2 applicants must have a job offer which pays an appropriate salary. The appropriate salary varies by job, and by your level of experience. In general, less experienced ‘new entrants’ must be paid at least £20,800 per year, while more experienced workers must receive at least £30,000 

·        English language criteria

you may need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply. You can prove your knowledge by either: passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level B1 in reading, writing, speaking and listening, having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognized by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PHD. You won’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you are a national of one of the following countries:

- Antigua and Barbuda

- Australia

- The Bahamas

- Barbados

- Belize

- Canada

- Dominica

- Grenada

- Guyana

- Jamaica

- New Zealand

- St Kitts and Nevis

- St Lucia

- St Vincent and the Grenadines

- Trinidad and Tobago


·        Tier 2 Visa maintenance requirements;

if you’ve had personal savings equivalent to £945 in your bank account for three months at the time the application is made or your sponsor will maintain and accommodate you until the end of your first month of working in the UK. You must have a letter from your employer confirming that this is the case.

What can Joblang do to help?

Joblang helps multilingual and bilingual speakers find jobs in the UK. Jobs that require additional language skill are usually a big advantage since the competition will be less. Joblang is also trying to aggregate jobs from Tier 2 Visa Sponsored Companies and filter those jobs based on language.