This post was contributed by Samhita.
The 4th EdelGive Social Innovation Honours 2012, is a national awards programme instituted by the EdelGive Foundation, to reward innovative work in the social sector in India.
The objective for the EdelGive Social Innovation Honours is to identify and reward organisations that are innovating to empower women in India.
In India statistics continue to highlight the ways women and girls remain marginalised and disempowered:
- Over 50% of girls in India still fail to enroll in schools In rural areas,
- 1 in 7 is married before the age of 13
- Lack of access to maternal health care in India still claims the lives of 1 in 70 women
- Female labourers get paid only 40 to 60 per cent of wages compared to a male labourer
Such figures reveal a pressing need for progress, and that’s why we choose to focus on funding and showcasing for innovative work that helps to empower women in five four different categories: Education, Health and Well-Being, Livelihoods and Rights and Representation.
Edelweiss Group launched a national awards programme in 2008, managed by EdelGive Foundation, with a vision to recognize, promote and support outstanding innovations that are catalysing positive social change across India.
Through the awards we seek to raise awareness of issues surrounding girl children, support organisations working on innovative projects and promote sharing and learning of these ideas amongst the private and public sectors.
– Health and well being: Awarding an innovation which promotes women’s health and overall well-being
– Education: Awarding an innovation which provides women with access to education and/or improved quality of education
– Economic Security & Livelihoods: Awarding an innovation which helps women increase their income, and / or provides them with employment opportunities
– Rights and Representation: Awarding an innovation which helps women overcome social and cultural challenges and also those which empower women to participate in available legislative positions
The window for applications will close on September 23, 2011. Short listing for each category will be based on scores assigned by the internal jury and verification conducted by an Independent Agency. The Award Management’s decision on the short listed entities will be final and binding.
To apply online visit – http://samhita.org/esih_2012.html