If you keep worrying about managing your people, listen to N Venkataramani, the Chairman and Managing Director of India Pistons Ltd, offering you a few simple and practical tips. He has been with the company since 1967 and as MD since 1982. A Fellow of The Institute of Mechanical Engineers having completed his Masters from Imperial College, London, he is also the Chairman of George Oakes, IP Rings, and is also on the board of Bimetal Bearings, Amalgamations VALEO, Stanadyne Amalgamations Pvt Ltd, informs the company site.Here is his advice on how to get the best out of your people:
- Respect the dignity of employees.
- Treat them as human beings.
- Look at them as an asset, not as a liability.
- Have time to listen to them. Education is a continuous process. How do you learn? You learn by talking to people.
- Each one has something to contribute. Employees have as much to contribute as a well-paid manager.
- Even as you treat them with humility, be strict with them, when needed.
- When you treat your people with respect, you will get the best out of them.