Myntra ties up with Goonj for a cause with 'fashion upgrade'

20th Nov 2017
  • +0
Share on
close
  • +0
Share on
close
Share on
close
Ananth Narayan, CEO, Myntra-Jabong

In a first-of-its-kind effort in India's e-commerce industry, online fashion marketplace Myntra is tying up with Delhi-based Goonj (one of the largest organisations working for the humanitarian cause in India) to give its customers a cause to shop.

Myntra’s latest campaign, ‘Myntra Fashion Upgrade’, a four-day event from November 21–24, allows shoppers to give away extra clothes, footwear, home furnishings, and more against redeemable points that can be used to shop and thus ‘upgrade’ their wardrobes. This is applicable to more than 2,000 leading global and domestic brands.

Shoppers can submit up to 15 units of clothing, footwear etc. with Myntra, which will then be refurbished and distributed by Goonj across the country. Goonj channelises unused clothes lying idle in urban homes to the far-flung villages of India as an important economic resource.

An individual shopper can redeem points worth Rs 15,000 in lieu of gifting clothes to the rural community through Myntra and Goonj and spreading joy across multiple cities. Over one million people are expected to participate in the event.

Do good to look good

The idea is to give the customer a chance to shop for ‘doing good’ along with ‘looking good’. Also, urban women usually have quite a lot of unused clothes in their closets, which will now reach those who need them.

The timing is perfect for the shoppers too — Myntra is showcasing the new range of selection right after the end of festive season sales. Also, this is a non-discount oriented approach from Myntra, although its brand partners are cooperating with marketing and funding discounts.

Myntra expects 3x traffic in the four days during which customers can redeem the points.

Naresh Krishnaswamy, Chief Revenue Officer, Myntra, says that from their research and pilots, Myntra got a great response from the customers. “According to our consumer research, 68 percent of Myntra consumers have shown willingness to participate in an event that contributes to a human cause. We are expecting double the baseline revenue in the four days,” he added.

Unique initiative

Myntra expects a million shipments at the end of the fourth day.

Ananth Narayanan, CEO, Myntra-Jabong, said, “Such an initiative is impossible for a traditional player. The idea for this initiative came from the thought process of how to do something which customers would love. Here they get to do it by upgrading their wardrobe.”

Customers can also avail a 10 percent instant discount on purchases made using HDFC cards.

Some in-house brands such as Roadster, HRX, All About You, Anouk, and Dressberry are introducing a range of new styles during the event. Also, global brands such as Tommy Hilfiger, Jack &Jones, UCB, Vero Moda, Forever 21, Nike, Adidas, Puma, AND, Lavie, Red Tape, W, and Biba, among others, are presenting some of their latest collections.

The initiative requires effort from multiple Myntra departments — supply chain, revenue, marketing, etc. — as the company aims to collect one million pieces. Myntra Logistics will be handling close to 80 percent of the overall exchange pickup load. Only the remaining 20 percent will be handled by a few third-party players as these are in far-flung geographies.

  • +0
Share on
close
  • +0
Share on
close
Share on
close
Report an issue
Authors

Related Tags

Our Partner Events

Hustle across India