Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a platform that makes the process of data migration smooth and secure without disrupting the flow of services. The bandwidth that is required for data migration may not be available for the company’s normal internet traffic. The amount of data that is transferred and the time taken for the same varies depending on the type of company. Hence, AWS has devised a formula that can be used by the companies for calculating how quickly the amount of data can be moved.
It is rightly said that “Technology like art is a soaring exercise of the human imagination”. And, cloud technology is one such example of a breakthrough that has completely transformed the face of the current technology. It has simplified the way IT organizations carry out the work processes and has facilitated the ease of doing business. One of the most important aspects with respect to cloud technology is the migration of applications to the cloud. Data migration can also prove to be one of the biggest challenges that organizations come across. In the absence of an appropriate platform, data transport can even become a cause of an organization’s downfall. So, clearly, it does require a great deal of cautiousness.
Number of Days = (Total Bytes)/ (Megabits per second * 125 * 1000 * Network Utilization * 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 24 hours)
For instance, if you have a T1 connection (1.544 Mbps) and 1TB (1024 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 bytes) to move in or out of AWS the theoretical minimum time it would take to load over your network connection at 80% network utilization is 82 days.
But, this formula in some cases might not be the best option to go for. Instead, the organizations would prefer some other alternative. One such option is AWS Direct Connect that allows data migration without routing the data over the internet. So, this enables the companies to utilize the internet for other activities.
The major concern that almost every company comes across is data security. Keeping this mind, AWS has various in-built security features like:
1. AWS Storage Gateway: It encrypts the data in transit to and from AWS by using AES-256 SSL/TSL.
2. AWS Kinesis Firehose: This is an added layer of security that protects the data in transit and uses AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) to monitor the access.
3. AWS Direct Connect: It uses AWS IAM to control the access to AWS Direct Connect Management Console and establishes a dedicated physical connection without data transfer over the internet.
4. Amazon S3 Transfer Acceleration: This feature encrypts the data both at rest or in transit as well as the client-side encryption. Also, it has access restrictions that can be written via an access policy.
5. AWS Import/Export Snowball: It uses IAM and integrates with the AWS key management service to encrypt data. Any unauthorized modification to hardware, firmware, or software can also be detected.
With AWS right by your side, data security would not be an issue and everything else will be taken care of. All you need to do is relax and focus on your core business activities. Technology is changing every second and that makes it necessary to keep pace with the same. So, switch over to Amazon cloud services now and enrich your cloud experience.