IOT in Fleet Management
Presenting huge opportunities for business growth and advancement across industries, the Internet of Things (IoT) has been taking the modern business world by storm, of late. Fleet management business is no exception; it is being offered myriad possibilities and endless developments to achieve business success and win customer satisfaction by using this modern technology. Delivery-based business organizations today are realizing the need for embracing IoT technologies not only for financial and administrative success but also for gaining significant advantage over tough competition.
The Significant Role Played by IoT in Modern Fleet Management
It has been the regular strife of fleet operators to achieve business objectives under reduced costs while being able to meet compliance needs in the increasingly stricter environment of safety and environmental regulations. To be able to strike a balance between varied factors such as fuel consumption, driver performance, vehicle maintenance, and route management is not only imperative but also a tough task. Thanks to the Internet of things technology that helps connect applications for delivering services and data, it has become possible to make your fleet operations greener, safer, and also cost-effective.
How Does the Internet of Things Revolutionize Fleet Management?
Connected technology has enabled fleet businesses to achieve greater efficiencies while managing their fleets in a better way. The following are a few of the ways in which Internet of Things transforms the fleet management process:
Provides Increased Visibility
- Being connected assures that you are in total control of your vehicles and staff – you get to know where your vehicles and drivers are at any point of time. Issues—such as drivers making unwanted stops, driving recklessly, not taking the best routes, or wasting fuel—that were not able to be tracked using legacy systems and technology can now be tracked and handled smoothly, with IoT technology being incorporated in fleet management systems.
Leveraging Voluminous Data
- An enormous volume of data is being generated by fleets – factors such as miles logged, fuel consumption, vehicle utilization, speed tracking, and several others have to be managed essentially. This task was very tough before IoT as these had to be managed manually, leading to considerable lags among several things. Now that IoT has forayed into fleet management, vehicles, office technology, and driver devices are connected in real-time, enabling fleet managers to not only collect and analyze all data, but also act on them promptly.
Preventative Maintenance Performance
- Being connected with all the vehicles ensures that you gain better insight into driver behavior, while being able to monitor your fleet’s health from anywhere, using the device of your choice. Alerts regarding service requirements such as coolant temperature, engine check, low battery, reminders of inspection and other factors empower fleet owners to provide preventative maintenance and ensure that vehicles run in safe way for longer.
Greener and Cleaner Operations
- Things that indirectly waste money and increase wear and tear such as driving over speed limit or excessive idling also add fuel to environmental harm. IoT technology used in fleet management software helps tracking driver behaviors and uncovering unwanted instances. This results in prompt action by fleet managers that leads to bring down emission levels and save the environment.
- Optimizing costs while ensuring that budgets are wisely managed is the concern of every fleet manager. Having vehicles, devices, and drivers connected empowers fleet managers to better understand how money is being spent and identify areas where they may save it.
Advantages of Adopting IoT Solutions in Fleet Management
Fleet Management Software that integrates fleets with IoT solutions helps fleet businesses by enhancing their supply chain visibility, thus resulting in theft protection, better customer experience, efficient process chain management, and also just-in-time inventory management. The following are the major advantages of adopting IoT technology in fleet management:
- Better management of fleet maintenance and fuel costs
- Real-time visibility of fleet
- Improved reporting
- Increased driver and vehicle safety
- Improved customer satisfaction
- Elimination of fraudulent activity
- Longer vehicle life spans
- Reduced labor costs
IoT Solutions in Fleet Management and Fleet Business Success
- It becomes possible to establish business metric as well as benchmarks
- Critical data can be accessed and integrated securely
- Critical data sources that need to be monitored can be identified
- Business applications for continuously monitoring key performance indicators can be developed
- Automation helps moving from reactive to proactive
The various advantages such as increased efficiency, increased customer satisfaction, prompt reporting, and peace of mind about your fleet have made automated fleet management systems an indispensable element in your fleet management business today. IoT having become the norm, every fleet business will naturally look forward to benefit from greater connectivity among devices and information collected from them.
This is a YourStory community post, written by one of our readers.The images and content in this post belong to their respective owners. If you feel that any content posted here is a violation of your copyright, please write to us at email@example.com and we will take it down. There has been no commercial exchange by YourStory for the publication of this article.