There is scarcity of doubt that all of the new technologies, led by the Internet, are shaping the way we think. Social behaviour is defined by how we function through technology and not by the way we interact with people personally. It is an engaging time to be in, especially for the children. With increased exposure to and developments emerging at a rapid pace, while we don’t have direct statistical analysis on how theses advancements forms an impact on our children’s cognitive development, we all need to accept the fact that technology is a way of life of our children. We as parents need to educate them on how they can judiciously make use of it.
Image credit: Shutterstock
In a recent study, researchers found out that kids’ use of gadgets has grown to 89 percent last year. With the rise of working parents, technology seems to be the only and sensible way to be engaged with you child when you are away. Children, on the other hand, seem to imbibe technology much more quickly than their parents. To an impressionable mind, this proves to come with prolonged consequences. Not all information can be of genuine backing, but to a child, Google may seem to be a means of impervious knowledge. In addition, as kids get older they want more freedom so that they work on self-actualisation, engage in self-reliant activities, and otherwise get ready for the outside world. It's a very steep line that parents have to walk—allowing kids to grow up, on their accord while trying to keep an eye on what's going on.
A steady supply of supervision, with an open-ended approach towards technology can help both the child and parent transit through this phase, smoothly. Here are a few pointers to keep in mind on how you can raise a technology-balanced child:
- Inclusive upbringing: 21th century preschool children, in behest or free of disabilities, may be found by technology, with assistive technologies, on a frequent scale in their homes, schools, and communities. Rather than partaking in preventive measures, involving the child in technical discussions is a smart way to promote a healthy outlook towards technology. Not only does it satiate the child’s curiosity, it also inculcates a sense of responsibility, with the child considering himself to have an equal space as an adult.
- Exposure to outside world: Encouraging children to participate in technology conference with or without adult supervision, is a wonderful option. Here, they can listen to thoughts on upcoming areas and get encouraged to speak on some of the key topics. This is a healthy way of disseminating information and also engaging in social interactions.
- Give the key to the thief: Prevention maybe effective in certain cases, but proves to be detrimental when it comes in dealing with children. Young minds function in an elusive way and are apprehensive to restrictions. The fact that inhibitions are laid makes them test barriers and try to break them, straining the relationship between the parent and child.If the parents let it pass and coach them to use it judiciously, children will imbibe a sense of ownership in peruse.
- Create subconscious thoughts: Easy solutions can be provided through exploration of technology. Whenever there is an issue which can be technologically solved, encourage them to give a solution through technology. Letting a child explore and learn through trial-and-error is one of the fundamental blocks of a wholesome development. Teaching them to consider technology to be a companion is a good way on creating a healthy environment for nurture.
- Participation in school:Education is slowly warming up to technology, availing assistance to improve upon their tools. The introduction of technology in the educational field has made the passage of learning and knowledge-dispersing, a more interactive and invigorating experience. Positive reinforcements should be there, for children to imbibe technology in education and use it to benefit their expansion in knowledge.
- Use your skills:Technology is an enabler in more ways than one. Although created by humans, it assists us in every sphere of life. Several ordinary manual tasks can be automated, thanks to technology. Parent’s grasp in technology is crucial for the child’s receptivity towards technology. Usage of technical terms in day-to-day conversations help children pick up the essence of technology and incorporate it in their learning curve.
- Coach them to strike a balance: Technology is certainly an asset but can have its negative impacts, with prolonged dependence on them. It is necessary to be disconnected from gadgets and internet at regular intervals at home and spend time with family. Letting children know the beauty of self-restraint teaches them to have a wholesome outlook in life, through not letting technology overpower them.
By nature, human beings are ruled through habits and although change is prevalent, it is a tryst with testing time. As parents, one deals with change on a relentless basis as the kids grow. To embrace the change and help it shape young minds into the correct path ensures them to become responsible citizens of tomorrow.
(Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of YourStory.)
Want to make your startup journey smooth? YS Education brings a comprehensive Funding Course, where you also get a chance to pitch your business plan to top investors. Click here to know more.
- assistive technologies
- technology conference
- technology-balanced child
- fundamental blocks
- social interactions