In this blog, we are going to shift your focus on the post compliances of acquiring food license meaning what else you need to consider once you have obtained the FSSAI License.Danish
Now that you have obtained the Food license or FSSAI license, what is next? In this blog, we are going to shift your focus on the post compliances of acquiring food license meaning what else you need to consider once you have obtained the FSSAI License. Considering these compliances, you can save yourself or your food business from paying any penalties or confiscation of the food license.
There are certain guidelines and compliances that every FBO (Food Operator Business) need to abide by after obtaining the food license to ascertain that he/she isn’t caught into any trouble or has to face any risk such as:
· Vendor and raw material non-compliance
· Non-standard packaging, misbranding, and labeling defects
· Unsafe practices as well as unsafe foods: microbes, contaminants, pesticides, etc.
· Misleading advertisements
· Non-standardized products etc.
If FBOs don’t abide by the guidelines after procuring food license, then they can get stuck in the above-described troubles and they will be penalized for the same. Therefore, every food operator business must follow the compliances as follows:
As per the FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) guidelines, a product must be labeled properly before it is for sale in the market. There is a variety of information that is supposed to be there on the packaging of the food product. They are as follows:
· Name and trademark of the product and the list of ingredients
· Nutritional information
· It’s important to give a declaration of vegetarian/non-vegetarian
· Declare about Food Additives
· Date of manufacture or packaging
· Expiry date or use before or by date and best before must be mentioned on the packaging
· Declaration of net quantity
· Identification of Lot/Code/Batch number
· Instructions for use
· There are specific requirements and manner of labeling of Infant Milk Substitute and Infant Foods
· Food labeling requirement for edible oils and fats permitted food colors and irradiated food
· Specific food labeling on Product labels and advertisements.
The FSSAI drafted a notice notifying regulations pertaining to claims and advertisements by food business operators in accordance with their food products. Under the Food Safety and Standards (claims and advertisement) regulations, 2018, food businesses are accountable for claims and advertisements of food products so as to protect consumer interests.
Under this regulation, food business operators are permitted to make claims without seeking prior approval from the food regulator. But they need to seek prior approval from FSSAI for nutrition and health claims other than those specified in the regulations.
As per the provisions of license under FSS (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations 2011, every FBO applying for the licensing must have a documented FSMS plan and abide with schedule 4 of this regulation. Schedule 4 defines the concept of FSMS based on implementation of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Good Hygiene Practices (GHP) by food businesses and is categorized into five sections as follows:
Apart from the above-described compliances, there are a few more as follows:
· License and other regulatory compliance
· Vendor license and raw material standards
· New product development compliance
· Comprehensive FSMS
Once you have obtained the food license, it’s pretty crucial to abide by above-described guidelines or you may have to pay heavy penalties or you may need to surrender your license. If you have any other queries regarding the food license FSSAI License renewal then you can contact the team of Enterslice.