Earlier last month, eCommerce major eBay India released 'Battle Of The Gadgets' report for Q2 (April-May-June) 2013. The report highlighted top gadget adoption trends across the country under top brands & models and ranks cities on the basis of their consumption. The quarterly report highlights research findings on the gadgets habits of Indians, based on an analysis of all gadget purchases on eBay India. The current research highlights trends between April 1, 2013 and June 30, 2013. Some interesting insights from the report are:
• Non-metro purchases has gone up by 35% as compared to Q2 2012 (Apr-Jun,2012)
• Smart Phones are the most purchased products amongst the 5 popular categories of Mobile Phones, Tablets, Laptops, Televisions and Digital Cameras
• LCD TVs are loosing sheen to LED TVs. 3D LED TVs overtake LCD TVs, purchases of 3D LED TV are 2X when compared with LCD TVs during Q2 2013
• Smart Phones purchases have gone up significantly as compared to Q2 2012 and tablets have doubled as compared to purchases in Q1 2012 on eBay India
• On the brands front, Samsung has once again surfaced as the most popular gadget brand with a 35% market share as compared to a 27% market share the previous quarter across the various categories
• Category-wise, the most purchased brands are Samsung under mobile phones, Dell under laptops, Samsung under tablets, Nikon under digital cameras & Samsung under televisions
• Samsung leads with 35% market share, followed by Sony – 13%, Nokia – 12%, Micromax – 11% and other brands – 29%
• Non metro customers buy more gadgets – 51% compared to 49% of Metro customers.
• Non-metro purchases has gone up by 35% as compared to Q2 2012 (Apr-Jun,2012).
• Smart Phones are the most purchased products amongst the 5 popular categories.
• LCD TVs loosing sheen to LED TVs. 3D LED TVs overtake LCD TVs, purchases of 3D LED TV are 2X when compared with LCD TVs during Q2 2013.
• Smart Phones purchases have gone up significantly as compared to Q2 2012 and tablets have doubled as compared to purchases in Q1 2012 on eBay India.
MOBILE PHONE CATEGORY INSIGHTS
Mobile category insights • Samsung leads the Mobile Phones category with 33% market share on eBay India, followed by Nokia – 14%, Micromax – 12%, Sony - 10% and other brands – 31%.
• Delhi continues to buy the most mobile phones.
• Non-metros buy more mobile phones (52%) than Metros(48%). Thiruvananthapuram and Kochi amongst the top 10 mobile phone cities
• Mobile phone purchases are more popular within the Rs 5,000 to Rs 15,000 price range.
Smart phone insights
• Samsung has replaced Sony to regain the most preferred brand in the smart phones category last quarter and Samsung Galaxy S Duos S7562 was the most popular Smartphone model.
• Bengaluru consumed the most Smartphones in the last quarter.
• Thiruvananthapuram and Kochi amongst the top 10 smartphone cities.
Value phone insights
• Samsung has gained the top position and Nokia slips to #2.
• However, Nokia Lumia 520 is the most purchased model in this category
• Delhi consumed most Value Phones followed by Bengaluru and Chennai
LAPTOP CATEGORY INSIGHTS
Laptop category insights• Mumbai tops consumption of Laptops
• Dell leads the category with 35% market share on eBay India, followed by Sony – 12%, HP – 11%, Acer – 10% and other brands 32%
• Dell Inspiron 3421 has been the most popular Laptop model followed by Apple MD101
• Panaji and Thiruvananthapuram amongst the top 10 Laptop cities list
• Metros consume more Laptops (56%) than non-metro cities(44%).
• 4 out of the Top 10 Laptop Models are by Dell
• Laptops in the range of 25,000 to 35,000 are more popular.
TABLETS CATEGORY INSIGHTS
Tablets category insights• Bengaluru leads the top consumption cities for Tablets purchased followed by Chennai and Delhi at #2 & #3
• Delhi slipped to the third position as compared to Q1
• Samsung has 38% market share on eBay India; followed by Apple - 13%, HCL – 10%, iBerry – 7% and other brands 32%
• Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 & Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3110 top the popular tablet models lists followed by by Asus Google Nexus 7
• Non-metros are on par with Metros in consumption of Tablets.
• Tablets in the range of Rs 5,000 – Rs 10,000 are more popular.
DIGITAL CAMERAS CATEGORY
Digital Camera category insights• Nikon leads in Digital Cameras category with 32% market share on eBay India, followed by Canon - 28%, Sony – 25% and other brands – 15%
• Bengaluru, Delhi, and Chennai are the top three cities consuming most Digital Cameras
• Rs 8,000 to Rs 15,000 remains the popular price band for digital cameras
• Nikon leads in DSLR segment with 50% market share on eBay India
• Sony tops the list of most popular Compact Digital Cameras brands on eBay India in Q2 with 43% market share
• Nikon holds the top position in Long Zoom Digital Cameras with 36% market share followed by Canon and Sony.
TELEVISION CATEGORY INSIGHTS
Television category insights• LEDs continue to grow in popularity over LCD. As seen on eBay India 3D LED TV transactions overtake LCD TVs
• Samsung is the most popular TV Brand with 62% market share followed by Sony – 21% and others – 17%
• Bengaluru followed by Delhi and Chennai are the Top 3 TV cities
• On an average consumers spend between Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 40,000 on TVs
• Non-metros are upgrading TV more (53%) than metros (47%)
Want to make your startup journey smooth? YS Education brings a comprehensive Funding Course, where you also get a chance to pitch your business plan to top investors. Click here to know more.