Let’s see how a positive and a negative attitude of employees will impact the atmosphere of a workplace.
Effects of Positive Attitude
- Less Stressful Environment
Positivity in a workplace helps to reduce stress and make it slightly bearable. It all comes down to what makes you happy and how you can take advantage of that to uplift your mood. It is easy to be dragged into a state of constant negativity and distress. The problem with negative people is that they drag everyone down with them. Sooner or later, people start to avoid them too. Positivity will help you see the silver lining and experience life in a less stressful and wholesome manner. Having a positive outlook, helps employees avoid nasty work politics as well. Work politics is known to affect the overall lives of employees.
- Gives Clarity to Employees
A positive attitude helps to give clarity, no matter which aspect of your life is under consideration. The more clarity you have, you will be more confident in carrying out your daily tasks. Clarity can help improve the quality of your work and have a positive impact on your self-esteem. Employee health is a highly underrated factor that is not considered. It is merely discarded and not considered important. Whereas, it is one of the major factors that contributes to the success of an organization.
- Improves Leadership Abilities
There is a strong link in between positivity and leadership. In fact, a leadership role is meant to be as positive as it can be. Nobody would want a leader to be projecting negativity in their direction. Moreover, a positive leader will manage to improve the productivity in the organization. He/she will be able to set realistic goals which can be accomplished by the employees in the said amount of time.
- Improves Interpersonal Relations
Improving interpersonal relations at workplace is extremely important for the sake of cultivating strong interpersonal relationships. It is crucial for employees to get along with each other and maintain healthy communication. Having a positive attitude in the workplace helps improve interpersonal relations. Other than having strong communication, it is also important to give space to your fellow employees. Moreover, employees must leave their egos behind when dealing with work-related tensions. In order to foster good relations, the leader of the team must acknowledge the effort of team members.
Effects of Negative Attitude
- Unproductivity at Workplace
The main aim of every business or company is to improve the productivity. It becomes impossible for a work environment to flourish with negative behavior of the employees. Moreover, having a negative outlook towards life can be injurious for the mental health of the employees. As team leader it would be have a negative impact on your employees.
- Create a Toxic Work Environment
Just like in any situation with a group of people. Negative attitude at work place will lead to toxicity and affect productivity. Leaders tend to give the image that no matter how well their employees perform, the higher management is not happy. It is worth mentioning that, the negative attitude of the higher management only will not cause the company to suffer. It can be a person from any level of the management. Negativity projected from an individual can affect the entire office.
- Loss of Innovation and Creativity
A workplace with only negative thoughts floating around has no room for creativity and innovation. It is a healthy activity for workers to have a brainstorming session and sit together to discuss ideas. However, these sessions can prove be quite stressful even if one person is projecting negativity. Stress can be a huge barrier for the generation of creative ideas. The most positive employees are bound to snap under stress and negative peers. Nobody likes to hear constant whining and criticism.
Creating a Positive Work Environment
Creating positivity in a work place requires both the effort of the higher management and the staff as well. It can only be through efforts of the entire team which will eventually create a positive environment at work.
- Clarity in Communication: The first step towards eradicating negativity in a workplace is to build a strong communication channel. Having good communication channel is essential in fostering good work relationships. If there has been issue at work such as dirty carpets or upholstery, then it is best to address it as soon as possible. There is no point in beating around the bush and avoid an issue by simply hiring any cleaning services. Moreover, the higher management should be able to communicate to the staff about their expectations from them and what goals they need to achieve. Clarity at communication is essential at all levels.
- Pay Attention: Most of the higher management makes the mistake of ignoring what their staff is saying. This leaves the employees feel that they are not being valued and what they say is worthless. There should be certain times of the day that should be reserved to listen to the employees and what hurdles they have been facing. This activity will help improve communication and make the employees feel that they are heard.
- Give Recognition where it is due: One of the leading causes of depression at a workplace is not being recognized for your efforts. Employees who perform well must be rewarded in some way. Either they should be rewarded in monetary ways or through verbal appreciation. Moreover, there can be additional benefits such as letting employees work from home or letting them come to work late or leave early. Giving employees such incentives will inculcate positivity in the workplace and boost employee morale as well.
A positive work environment is the key to a successful business or organization. Work places are not meant to feel like a jail, if they are there is probably something that you are doing wrong. Taking the correct steps at the right time can help take care of a bigger problem in the future.